powermax vs durastroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
powermax vs durastroke

Ok, so first off I don't want this to turn into a pissing match. I just want some info.
I have pm'ed Adrian, I just don't want to bombard him with a bunch of pm's and I know there a quite a few guys on here that know the the answers I am looking for.

So a little background.
2005 F250 4x4 cc
not studded(hopefully within 8 months or so)
4" turbo back

So a few weeks ago I lost a bunch of power and started smoking bad(black and white, diesel smell aka unburnt fuel), I got it limped home and just got my parts for the oil cooler, standpipes, d-plugs, STC, and BPD egr 2 days before. So I pulled codes and it appeared injector #1 was bad. So ordered that and started tearing down and repairing everything. After trying to start, it would not start and finally traced it down to a bad ficm relay. Anyway I got it started and took it for a run around the block. Next day I started it up and was going to take it for a long run to get all the air out of the HPOP system well it died on my getting on the highway, no sync.

So I had it towed in to a indy diesel shop. Of course when I got there later in the afternoon it started right up. He wanted to show me the exhaust leak(I could tell I had one). Well he said hear the turbo? and feel this. You could tell the bearings on the intake side where bad.

So new turbo, rebuild my turbo, then he mentioned a Pmax. He didn't mind me ordering my own parts, since I can get a deal at Ford and since I do most of the work on my truck. Good guy.

So I was going to go with a reman oem turbo, then I started researching the Pmax on another forum. I hadn't heard of the durastroke. So I found a good deal on one and bought it.

So then I come here and ask about tuning for a Pmax. and low and behold by good buddy Colo_dually puts some doubt in my mind by saying I should have gotten a durastroke. uggggg

Well bottom line I need a turbo so the Pmax is going in. But what I want to know and I have read a bunch of threads it seams like the durastroke provides the optimum and balanced airflow for the 6.0 Am I right? Is there a huge difference in the Pmax and Durastroke where it would be worth it to replace the Pmax? Is the Stage II for bigger sticks?

I am not into racing(well except for blowing out a ricer from time to time) Just real world driving and performance. I do tow, but only about 5k and that is only towing the duck boat.

Sorry for a long post.

So give me your thoughts.

And yes i did get a tuner from Vivian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

From what I've read, the Mad TurboWerks Stage one is just a more balanced, more efficient, direct drop in that is better than a Pmax with no dead spots, a broader power spectrum, and more air flow all without special tuning needed.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Chapter Director

I just installed my durastroke stage 1 today and made a quick run up the road holy s*** what a difference. The truck is sooooo much more responsive and makes the truck feel like it lost significant amount of weight. I haven't run a pmax or been in a truck with one but from what I have read about them I wouldn't ever find myself buying one. Mad powerstroke really has just done a awesome job creating this thing. If I were you I would get a durastroke and sell the pmax
Old 06-01-2012, 07:06 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I am not sure if anyone who has a Powermax has switched over to a durastroke yet to give you a comparison. I just know that there are responses from folks who bought the Powermax thinking it was the cure to cancer (so to speak) and was disappointed mostly with the response it gave, its ability to control EGTs, and was prone to dead spots at the 50-55mph range. Of course this isnt from everyone who gets a powermax but there are definitely a lot of folks who have claimed these sorts of experiences with the Powermax and Adrian (when he built his first durastroke turbo) was expecting some of these things to happen with his turbo. Nevertheless as you have heard so far, these turbos have exceeded everybodies expectations and these issues that seem to sometimes plague the Powermax have not been manifested in these as of yet. I know when I first got my durastroke I tried to get it to bog down and hit the dead spot that seems to sometimes plague the powermax at the 50-55mph range and I could not find any such dead spots with this turbo. I would just say that if you get the powermax and you dont find any of these issues then just call it good and you'll be good to go; but if you do decide you dont like it anymore, Adrian can still make either a Stage 1 or 2 from your powermax. You also dont need larger injectors to run the Stage 2 as it will run just fine with stock injectors and will support 175s easily as well. These are just my opinions of each turbo from what I have experienced first hand with the durastroke and read about all of the other turbos. Hope it helps.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Depends what your future mods will be. I have a pmax w/batmowheel now. I was going to do the MTW stage 1, but figured I'll just keep my pmax til I upgrade my injectors (whenever I get the cash). I have no complaints with my pmax, but I know if I get larger injectors I will need a larger turbo. For someone whol will just add tunes and no more I wouldnt worry about it. I havent tried a MTW stage 1, but if you already have the pmax I wouldnt worry too much. I run the SPD tune for it and Im not even studded. But if you want to try both turbos and report back to us there would be a lot of us interested in the comparison lol
Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Making ported intakes

I have a pmax and ordered my stage 2 that will be here this coming week. So I will let you guys know the difference.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Yea buddy that's what I'm talking about. Have you noticed any of the issues I mentioned about the powermax with yours??
Old 06-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Yea buddy that's what I'm talking about. Have you noticed any of the issues I mentioned about the powermax with yours??
Yes,he has.I have been working with him and I have told him that the stage 2 will fix the issues he has now.It will be interesting what responds I get when he puts it on and tries it out.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:58 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Ok got ya. Well I am sure that we will hear the results, good or bad. My money is on the Stage 2 though. JMO.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Making ported intakes

Ya man I can't wait and yes my truck does everything you have mentioned haha boooooggggggggggg haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.