Anybody using the Turbo Brake on tow tunes? - Page 5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
I don't have any more technical answers, I tried it, seen little benefit, and choose not to run it based on the fact it's not a factory option. It's like a performance tune, there is benefit, at cost(wear and tear), and it's hard to directly measure cost. With a tune, the positive results justify the cost/risk (wear and tear) for me. The turbo brake does not - to me.
It actually is programmed do this on factory tuning just not as aggressive as what a tune does.

The fact that you did not notice i difference in slow down tells me that your jake brake wasn't very aggressive tuning wise. My friend has this feature on his duramax(widely used in the duramax community and is basically the same operation) and it makes a large difference in brake wear.

If this was going to cost more (wear and tear) then why do almost all big rigs use a type a jake brake? Although different in the way it initiates the action ends in the same result.

Another point in EBP is that aftermarket companies use EBP to enhance engine braking. if this was a practice that could cause damage to the engine then why would they market such a piece that could open them up to such liabilities?

Not trying to change your mind, its your truck and you can operate it anyway you see fit. Just wanted to throw these points out in this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sootman, while you can sell nearly anything on the net, I think you have to back your claim before you sell product on " the Org"

Submit your revelation to Ford, if it is benificial, I am sure they will adopt it. Until then, I will stick with it at the factory setting. My custom tune is based on my strategy and enhanced, so the un-manipulated settings are ford standard, so whatever the truck does stock is what my turbo does on deceleration (which is zero turbo braking bro).

When I ran the jake brake tune, it boosted to 20psi or so on deceleration, so it worked as advertised. Big rigs are so different from the 6.0L, not a lot of advantage in comparing. I've tried it, I'm going to run without.

Last edited by jetjock15; 01-04-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootman73 View Post

If this was going to cost more (wear and tear) then why do almost all big rigs use a type a jake brake? Although different in the way it initiates the action ends in the same result.
They have jakes. Not a turbo brake

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 PM

I have a weird feeling that the the issue I had with the Aggressive Tow from Viv with TB was just a coincidence.

I was coming down a steep hill towing a boat to a customers house, about 7500lbs boat/motor/trailer.
I was in Tow/haul, got on the brakes to initiate the turbo brake, as soon as it down shifted, and the engine boosted, it threw a CEL.
I was only a couple hundred yards from the customers house when it happened.
Backed into his drive, and checked the Edge for codes.
Pulled a glow plug circuit fail code, I think it was P0671.

I never had this code pop up before. I still have yet to fix it.
This was the first time I used the Aggr. Tow in T/H, while actually towing.
I still use the tune, just dont put it in T/H going down big hills, I just use the brakes.

I cant think of a logical reason why that would set a glow plug code.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRaZy8 View Post
I have a weird feeling that the the issue I had with the Aggressive Tow from Viv with TB was just a coincidence.

I was coming down a steep hill towing a boat to a customers house, about 7500lbs boat/motor/trailer.
I was in Tow/haul, got on the brakes to initiate the turbo brake, as soon as it down shifted, and the engine boosted, it threw a CEL.

I still use the tune, just dont put it in T/H going down big hills, I just use the brakes.

I would throw a wrench light when I towed 18k and after a long downhill stretch with the reverse boost pressure fairly high. Another reason I abandoned this invented attribute.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Motor Head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRaZy8 View Post

I found this interesting,because I run her non aggressive tow tune with turbobrake for pulling my 5th and now have a P0676 code IIR.... , which I think is number 6 bad glow plug.My plugs were new 6 months ago.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 AM

For another data point- my truck has 36k. I have towed at or over Max Combined Gross for 80% of those miles. I have towed up and down the ALCAN and towed coast to coast twice. Before my last trip (Vegas to DC) this summer, I bought all new OEM brake pads. When I went to install them, they still had 50% pad! I was so amazed. So now after that haul, my new pads are still in garage. They cost about $140 for the four if I remember correctly. Lets not try to pretend we are all burning through brake pads so quick at high costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.