Air Dog II or FASS fuel system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air Dog II or FASS fuel system

If i bought either a Air Dog or FASS could i remove the HFCM and stock upper fuel filter? I did a BPD Oil Cooler and EGR cooler a short time ago.
Is there any performance/fuel economy gain with either aftermarket system?
I tried searching youtube to watch installation videos, but found no installation videos of either system for the ford 6.0. seems everyone and there brother put one of these fuel systems on a dodge.
Honestly i installed 4 new Monroe Gas Magnum truck shocks and drained water drain plug on my stock HFCM today,and just can't stop thinking about the next truck mod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 05:25 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yes regardless of which brand you choose you can get rid of the filter bowl on the motor. I personally would get a low pressure unit and keep the factory HFCM until you can get either an Aeromotive A1000 or Fuelab to replace that. I would also just get a sump right off the bat if you can swing it. If you are stuck on replacing the factory HFCM, I would get the sump and an AD2 because that will be the price of the FASS and you dont really gain anything with the FASS.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Agreed. Low profile fuel sump
Old 05-27-2012, 05:41 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

XDP sells theirs for $165 but with 10% off like the sale they are running right now, it is $148 shipped. Ive seen both the beans and the XDP when I was at TS and they are about equal in looks JMO.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Yes regardless of which brand you choose you can get rid of the filter bowl on the motor. I personally would get a low pressure unit and keep the factory HFCM until you can get either an Aeromotive A1000 or Fuelab to replace that. I would also just get a sump right off the bat if you can swing it. If you are stuck on replacing the factory HFCM, I would get the sump and an AD2 because that will be the price of the FASS and you dont really gain anything with the FASS.
I disagree with Nate on this point. IMO (and keep in mind this is MY opinion, neither is right or wrong, just different solutions to fuel delivery) I prefer a single pump solution like the ADII. I like it because it simplifies the fuel system. I don't see the benefit in running 2 pumps, putting additional load on the electrical system, complicating the wiring, etc. when one pump is capable of doing the job by itself as the ADII is. I do agree that which ever solution you decide on to get a sump to feed it from right away. Your new pump will thank you.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Premium Member

If I recall correctly Pure Flow use to say that their pumps could be hooked up to the OEM draw straw but now they suggest installing a fuel sump.

Last edited by Term3; 05-28-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Guys, keep in mind i have no clue about fuel systems. anybody got any pics of there setup? what fuel sumps are recommended with the airdogII ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I disagree with Nate on this point. IMO (and keep in mind this is MY opinion, neither is right or wrong, just different solutions to fuel delivery) I prefer a single pump solution like the ADII. I like it because it simplifies the fuel system. I don't see the benefit in running 2 pumps, putting additional load on the electrical system, complicating the wiring, etc. when one pump is capable of doing the job by itself as the ADII is. I do agree that which ever solution you decide on to get a sump to feed it from right away. Your new pump will thank you.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:44 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I got ya Mitch and it's cool. At least we agree that a sump should be used.

I do agree that a single pump can in fact handle the pumping duties required for our motors however, I personally just dont trust either the AD2 or High Pressure FASS units. Are there guys out there that are running them on their trucks successfully and with little to no problems??? Absolutely but there are also A LOT (and by that too many for me) that have had problems and get stranded. Now I know that we could spin off over what is most reliable and what not but I think everyone would agree that the most reliable pump is the OEM pump but it is inadequate (by itself) in supplying the required amount of fuel for larger injectors, hence why folks upgrade to larger volume pumps.

Now (In MY opinion ) I personally like the Aeromotive A1000s or Fuelab pumps but they are NOT designed to be used as a pump to draw the fuel out of the tank. Do they work when used as that?? Yes but that is not what they are designed for as Aeromotive specifically states in their manual to have the point where the fuel comes out of the tank at be higher than the pump's suction.

So now this is where I say that the two pumps are better than one. I say this because using two pumps allows them to actually help each other because each pump will provide a certain amount of suction so that neither one has the full burden of lifting the fuel out of the tank and both pumps work to provide fuel flow to the motor at a sufficient volume and pressure. I currently use a low pressure Airdog to feed my stock pump but that is only going to be the case until it either fails or I can get enough money to swap it out for an Aeromotive A1000. Yes the electrical connections can seem a little complicated but they really arent IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
Guys, keep in mind i have no clue about fuel systems. anybody got any pics of there setup? what fuel sumps are recommended with the airdogII ?
Just know this man. There are quite a few ways to get a sufficient amount of fuel flow to the injectors. Just keep researching and when you find something of interest that sparks a specific question, ask it and I am sure you will get a plethora of information. I will try to get some pics of my fuel system. There isnt really any brand of sump that is better than another. They all do the same thing. Just make sure you use (at a minimum) 1/2in suction line. Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

I personally, with the exception of the earlier AD2's, have not seen newer AD2 failures when fuel line upgrades and a sump have been used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.