Best tunes for my truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best tunes for my truck?

Okay I need some help cause I'm a n00b my sct will be coming in next week and I need ideas of what tune you guy recommend and where I get it from, my truck is studded, air intake, 5" straight and all the good stuff but what tunes!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 07:53 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have tried tunes from everyone but Vivian and if it is power that you are after, I recommend either TSD's SPD w/early lockup or Eric's (@ IDP) Xtreme X. If you are after fuel mileage, I have heard that Vivian's Looney Wild is where it is at (i.e. greater than 20mpg). Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:02 PM
back to business

I'd add Matt@Gearhead to the list above.

Pick one and see how it works out for you. It's hard to say which tune will be best for your truck, as all trucks will respond a little differnent to any given tune.
Mine likes Matts and Chris' the best. Vivians run good, just a little hot, and Erics are OK, good all around but not great. (this is on MY truck, your experiances may differ)

Also, what kind of program are you looking for? Race, dialy driver, tow, economy....?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:02 PM

Where is Vivian from? And with spd did your truck get alot of smoke? I know not alot of people like it but I want smoke! Lol
Old 05-25-2012, 08:04 PM

I'm also looking for the most power I can get but without sacrificing fuel economy
Old 05-25-2012, 08:09 PM
back to business

Vivian's shop is QuickTricks Automotive.

SPD isn't all that smokey, it'll roll it out pretty good before the turbo spools, but then it's just a light haze.
(Edit - with the early TC lock it will blow a little smoke under normal, hard, acceleration. Passing on the hwy, pulling a steep hill, if you get a little greedy with the throttle. This is the only thing I don't like about it, sometimes it'll roll some coal out when I'm not intending it to. With a little experiance driving it though, I've got it figured out. SRL is an "easier" tune to drive.)

Race tunes will usually give you the best fuel mileage if you drive them lightly. If you're always into the throttle, you'll never get good fuel mileage, no matter what tune you use. (I have always gotten better MPG with race or high HP tunes than economy or street tunes. SRL and, now, SPD are my daily driven tunes. 20+MPG on the hwy, 17-18mpg, with mixed driving)

Last edited by 07OUTLAW; 05-25-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Do I just google quick tricks? How much is the SPD?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 PM
back to business

Welcome to Quick Tricks! Custom Tuners Miami, Florida

No need to google it now. Just go to the "contact us" section and send an email.

Most tuners are going to charge 50-60 for a single tune, although some are cheaper or willing to negotiate. Getting a "3 tune Package" is usually the most economical. Get a race, light tow/street and heavy tow. I'd avoid the "street" tunes, as you will never use them. I'm either loaded with a high hp race tune, or towing/hauling.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:56 PM

Got my tunes from Truck Source Diesel in 07 haven't even wanted to try anyone else's tunes . SPD Is where you want to go and if you want smoke just step in it she will smoke. Just cruising let off then step in it and it will choke the person behind you till it kicks in then it's all haze and power. On take offs sux cause if not locked in 4x it will spin your tires off and put you sideways if not careful . Give the SPD a try won't regret it. Look at my tire and lift size running 75 highway I can pull 15 mpg easy 70 16.5 to 17 depending .

Last edited by Mike Hickman; 05-25-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:43 AM

Okay I hate to ask this but the spd is the super panty dropper correct? Sorry I kinda new to the site and don't know all the lingo yet lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.