AirDog 2 Fluctuating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
AirDog 2 Fluctuating

Okay, so I got my truck all buttoned up. Casserly 190/75's, PowerMax Turbo (for now), and a new AirDog 2 from PTP. The pump is the only thing giving me issues.

The pump is mounted at the lowest point possible on the frame mount, and it is still barely touching the bottom of the cab. It's unbearably loud in the cab too. Maybe stick some Dynomat between the pump and cab?

Also, the pressure never remains constant. The needle is constantly bouncing (verified gauge, it's not a gauge problem) and it will roam around from 65-75 PSI. I adjusted the regulator to run about 68-70 PSI. The pump also doesn't have a constant hum like I would expect, its almost pulsating, and it kinda goes along with the shaking needle. And everyone in a while, the pump will have a louder pulse.

I do not have a sump... YET. I plan on getting one of those low profile sumps I read about somewhere on here... For now I'll just keep it above a 1/4 of a tank.

Here's a video. It wasn't shaking too bad in this video, but you get the point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 12:04 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well what do you have as far as the OEM pressure regulator goes?? Do you have the OEM spring, blue spring, or RR kit?? I am inclined to think that if there are two regulators in your system, then they are probably fighting each other over which one will actually maintain fuel pressure. If you have any of the regulators that I mentioned above, I would turn the AD2 all the way up and just let whatever one you have on the motor do the actual regulating. As far as the noise goes, I can't comment on that really other than to say it probably isnt good. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

I have the Ford OEM Updated FPR Kit with the blue spring. I can't turn it all the way up, as I saw 76 PSI one time, and I've only turned the regulator screw two full turns (maximum of seven).
Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Blake, do yourself a few favors. Get a sump. I really can't emphasize that enough. Get a sump.

Next, block off the fuel return line from the oem FPR. Make yourself a block off to go in the return line nut from a coke/beer can or something like that and let the ADII regulate the FP.

Next, the ADII frame sandwich mount is transmitting all of the pump noise into the frame. I have posted on this a few times. Don't do it that way. Just use the plate that the pump manifold attaches too. Drill holes though the frame to bolt the pump mounting plate directly to the frame. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a 6" rubber waste pipe coupling and split it so you can roll it out flat. Cut it the length of the frame mount plate and sandwich it between the frame and the ADII frame mount plate and bolt that sucker down. You now have a damper between the mount and the frame and it will be much quieter.

A picture is worth 1000 words
Old 05-24-2012, 02:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I know of people with the ADII that the gears inside the pump needed to be changed to eliminate the noise.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Blake, do yourself a few favors. Get a sump. I really can't emphasize that enough. Get a sump.

Next, block off the fuel return line from the oem FPR. Make yourself a block off to go in the return line nut from a coke/beer can or something like that and let the ADII regulate the FP.

Next, the ADII frame sandwich mount is transmitting all of the pump noise into the frame. I have posted on this a few times. Don't do it that way. Just use the plate that the pump manifold attaches too. Drill holes though the frame to bolt the pump mounting plate directly to the frame. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a 6" rubber waste pipe coupling and split it so you can roll it out flat. Cut it the length of the frame mount plate and sandwich it between the frame and the ADII frame mount plate and bolt that sucker down. You now have a damper between the mount and the frame and it will be much quieter.

A picture is worth 1000 words
Sump is next in line. Just gotta recoup from all this. when you say block the return line, do you mean completely block it off? A coke can would withstand the pressure?

I plan on getting rid of the secondary fuel filter here soon, and maybe adding an XX-Fuel filter system (fuel quality here sucks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnet1 View Post
I know of people with the ADII that the gears inside the pump needed to be changed to eliminate the noise.
The pump is brand new. Like literally a week old. Ordered it straight from PTP.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Sump is next in line. Just gotta recoup from all this. when you say block the return line, do you mean completely block it off? A coke can would withstand the pressure?

Yes, completely block off the oem fuel reutrn. Take that FPR out of the picture. Yes a disc cut from a coke can or beer can to fit inside that fitting will definitely hold the pressure and block the return line off and you can't beat the price.

I plan on getting rid of the secondary fuel filter here soon, and maybe adding an XX-Fuel filter system (fuel quality here sucks).
No need for the extra filtration. The ADII filter is a 2 micron filter. Just change it when it gets dirty. No need spending money where it isn't necessary.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Awesome. Thanks for the info, I'll be tearing back into it very soon.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's not a gears problem, it's simply resonating though the floor. Not sure why you are so close to the floor, usually there is plenty of clearance. Do you have it on the inside or outside of the frame?

As for the pressure fluc, it will bouce just a little. Are you running a mech gauge or electronic. If it's electric, then you will get a small amount of boucing with some gauges, it all depends on how the sensor reads it. Does the pressure hold when you're driving?

Finally, try the bucket test to see if that helps clear up some of the tone changes.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle@pureflowairdog View Post
It's not a gears problem, it's simply resonating though the floor. Not sure why you are so close to the floor, usually there is plenty of clearance. Do you have it on the inside or outside of the frame?

As for the pressure fluc, it will bouce just a little. Are you running a mech gauge or electronic. If it's electric, then you will get a small amount of boucing with some gauges, it all depends on how the sensor reads it. Does the pressure hold when you're driving?

Finally, try the bucket test to see if that helps clear up some of the tone changes.
The pressure doesn't hold under normal driving. It drops 3-4 PSI just in normal acceleration, and will drop a whole lot under WOT.

The pump started changing tones at idle about two days after I installed it, didn't really think anything about it. Well last night it bit the dust. Had to get it towed home. With the cruise set at 60, the pressure randomly dropped to 45, so I pulled over to adjust the regulator. No luck. Kept driving, blew a fuse and dropped to zero. Replaced fuse, blew instantly. Replaced with bigger fuse, it held for a little while, but blew again. Replaced fuse again, pump wouldn't even put out 20 PSI. Had it towed home. I'm pretty certain its a bad motor. Which really sucks, pending I just bought this thing a few weeks ago.

I'll be giving you a call today. How long does a new motor take to be delivered? Can I get it overnights? And how hard is the motor replacement install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.