Towing HEAVY with a Durastroke stage 1 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing HEAVY with a Durastroke stage 1

I plan to test the stage one with two different trucks to verify any differences between a F250 & F350 Dually. The Dually is an 06 Tow Boss LB CC with 4:30, OEM tuning (ECM & FICM), only change relevant to this test is the 4Ē magneflow exhaust. The 06 is a SOLID truck with full gauges so we can monitor everything relating to this turboís performance.
We own a transport company, so we can test this turbo more in a few days than most can do in a year! After a few spirited runs around the block, we grabbed a tri-axle goose neck with ~14Klbs of steel pipe. Total trailer weight might be close to max, I didnít bother to check the paperwork. Driver reports the Durastoke runs well in city traffic, and feels solid on the toll road. He is driving west about 200 miles this evening so I should get a full report tonight after he unloads. The plan is to grab about 10Klbs of chemicals for the return trip. I already have a trip planned to OKC on Thursday with MGVW to really put the Durastroke under load.
First impressions, the turbine is as quiet as an OEM turbo. It spools as fast or faster than OEM, and easily produces 25lbs on boost whenever you need it. So far, so good! The hybrid compressor is no louder than OEM, but the test truck has an OEM filter. If it is louder, we didnít notice. We had a few mandatory requirements to meet:
- Had to be a TRUE Bolton replacement
- Could not be much louder than stock to avoid driver fatigue
-Must work 100% with OEM tuning

BTW- I wont bother to dyno, race, or otherwise measure HP, becauseÖ.Horsepower is a calculated variable which has no real world relevance. Iím looking for actually developed power or Torque to haul heavy loads, thatís all.

Iíll update as we get more data from the drivers, if there is anything about this turbo they donít like, believe me I will hear about it!

Wekiwa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM
The Silent Service

Very interested in this very sort of information on this turbo.

I also have a CCBL TowBoss, an '07 with the 4.30's, and I want to see this turbo run on OEM tuning before I commit to a purchase and installation. Out west, at high altitude, I need to know that stock programming is going to be able to get me over the grades. Dyno's and Strips are for bragging rights, these heavy loads put food on the table and keep the bills paid.

Thank you for testing this setup in particular, Wekiwa. I appreciate any and all information you can get back and posted up.

Last edited by colo_dually; 05-21-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Sounds good I'll be watching this one!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I thought the stage 1 produces up to 32psi of boost? Is this trip mostly in the south, any real elevation?

Studded 6.0?
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
I thought the stage 1 produces up to 32psi of boost? Is this trip mostly in the south, any real elevation?

Studded 6.0?
The initial testing for the Stage I was with both SCT and FICM tuning. My guess is this turbo should still peak upper 20's in boost under stock programming. We'll see what the numbers come back on here.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post

Studded 6.0?
Dallas area, or about 700'. High humidity, about 88. Didn't run WOT, just easy acceleration. Its kinda flat out here, last time my brother ticked off his wife, he sat on the hood and watched her walk away for 2 days......

W
Old 05-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wekiwa, I'm looking forward to your honest opinion. I know you've been around these forums for quite awhile, and tell it like it is.

Rich
Old 05-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Subscribed

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 05-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wekiwa - I know I've read a thousand posts or more from you, but your post count shows 11 here? One of the "other" sites I believe.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

FOR YOU TOWERS

OK,I heard from you guys and I did something about it.I was contacted by Wekiwa along time ago about the turbos and he was going to wait,and see what happens.He told me that he and this brother tow for a living and they needed a good turbo.About same time I had guys asking about towing so I thought this would be great.I enrolled him as a tester and sent a turbo his way.You towing guys might remember me saying that I had a plan for tow testing,well here it is.If anyone could test towing I would be this member.So keep up with this postings and enjoy.MADMAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.