6.0 to the rescue! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 to the rescue!

So I got a phone call Friday night that my bro in law's Cummins has spit a torque converter on the drag strip at TS in Kentucky and he needs me to bring a trailer to get it. Bad thing is the transmission is a fully built ATS that is only 4 months old So I get hooked up to a 30ft gooseneck and head that way from Tuscaloosa, Al. early Saturday morning running stock tuning because I let my dad borrow my SCT for the trip. I was actually surprised how well it pulled on stock tuning. The trailer weighed 6700 according to a tag on it. I forgot to reset my trip meter but it burned a full tank of fuel going there. I was running 80mph the whole time but I still thought that's pretty awful fuel mileage. Anyhow got his truck loaded (6.7 megacab ~ 8400lbs) and got my programmer back off my dads truck and loaded the 50hp Tow Tune. I filled the truck back up and reset the trip meter this time. We got within a hour from home and i had a little over a quarter of a tank so we stopped and capped it off. I got to check my mileage this time and it was indeed awful = 9.2mpg! I know it was pulling a little over 15k lbs but why is it so low?? Is it because I was running 75mph the whole way back or because I really need a custom tow tune? I've been planning to get my FICM tuned to help me some and saving for a turbo. I really need to do something about the mileage towing. Also, twice when I stopped I saw a white cloud of smoke come out the exhaust and then go away. Truck never ran rough or nothing. Could that be the turbo going out? I know it's had a hard life of over spooling lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 08:22 PM

Your millage is off from your over sized tires so you go further than it reads use a gps to track millage next time
Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 PM

I reset my speedometer when i put the 35s on with a Ford IDM at the dealer. (Got a friend that works there). Checked it with a GPS and it's dead on.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I get 5-9 pulling, I've been as low as 3, short trips are always better, on the longer open roads you got wind, hills that hurt your fuel. I would still get a custom tow tune, they are nice.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:22 AM

I'd say its a combo of your 35s and doing 80. There's a thread over on the nation that talks about how our trucks have double the drag at 70 than from 55. So 80 is worse yet. I'd bet if you slowed her down a ways your number would go up. JMO
Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea I didn't try going slower than 75 because it seemed like if I ever let it fall around 70mph then it didn't have enough power and it would downshift and rpm's scream. If I kept it up around 2k rpm in overdrive it done a lot better. Just so happens that 2k is about 77mph because I'm stock gears and 35s. Do y'all run 55-60 and just let it stay out of overdrive and revved up?

Also, any thoughts on what the white cloud of smoke could of been? Turbo oil seal going out?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Good job on hauling a Dodge

Old 05-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Stroke View Post
Also, any thoughts on what the white cloud of smoke could of been? Turbo oil seal going out?
It's a 6.0, we all see white clouds from time to time.

Could be a turbo seal, or maybe you just want it to be a turbo seal so you can get a new turbo
Old 05-21-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
Good job on hauling a Dodge

Hahaha oh don't think for a second that I didn't rub that in with plenty of Cumm-apart jokes on the way home
Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
It's a 6.0, we all see white clouds from time to time.

Could be a turbo seal, or maybe you just want it to be a turbo seal so you can get a new turbo
Hey any reason I can find to "justify" buying a turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.