Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Powermax review

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Eric@PTP 
#1 · (Edited)
What I've noticed with the powermax.

Before the powermax the truck would burn the block, meaning from a dead stop and floor the throttle the truck would do a burn out till third gear. After the powermax has been installed the truck cannot do that anymore. Also at fwy speeds when cruising 65 and flooring it the truck hits around 1150-1300 egt before even moving. Ive been running the powermax for about two years and hate it. Anyone else feel this and or what can be done to get all my torque back?

401hp 680tq was max with following mods
Airdog150,fuel spring,6.4 banjo,powermax,4in turbo back,Afe intake,banks high ram 4.30 gears on 35s

#2 ·
I've been VERY happy with my PowerMax turbo. Please tell me that you have had Vivian adjust your tunes to accommodate your PowerMax...

PS. Mine takes a bit more to light, but once it does, I can stand on it and it pulls hard all the way to over 100mph.

#3 ·
The turbo is ok but the stock one seems to have way less lag and built more power IMO. And i would honestly prefer less lag and a turbo that works proper rather one that lags like a granny. That's just me. And yes Vivian made all new tunes. And her wild is the fastest and highest dyno numbers

#4 ·
I did not really care for vivians tunes for the powermax.. (were not bad) but TSD tunes are just better, More power, and less smoke... I also love my powermax... i think it was a noticable increase in power over my 03 turbo IMO

#5 · (Edited)
Yep the Powermax has some quirky issues. From what Ive seen first hand and heard on the Org, tunes make all the difference. I have first hand experience with a late 04 and a early 04 and with the right tunes they are awesome!

I really wish there was some factual data to say why the Powermax performs so poorly compared to the stock turbo?? I mean it should be better, NO?? I just cant believe it has that big of an effect on these engines, the turbo is not that different from stock...

#6 ·
anyone have their email, TSD or Vivian's or usernames on here?

#7 ·
If you hate the powermax so much, whay are you still running it after two years? I use Gearhead tunes mostly with my pmax, and with the 190s it spools instantly, just as fast as the stock 03 turbo. The only time it will lag is if the truck somehow decides to shift into overdrive at 45 mph, but then it is only for a half a second then it spools and I'm suddenly doing 65. The turbo flows much more air than stock, and my WOT EGTs are lower. Unfortunately, I have too much fuel for it, so it runs out of air up top, but that wouldn't be an issue with smaller sticks. Chances are you have another issue with your truck that is unrelated to the turbo.

#9 ·
The truck sits due to having a company truck, and I don't have that type of coin to keep swapping turbos and parts to find something that works. So my question as I posted is if anyone has or had same issue and what they did to balance it out. Thx for your input though.

#11 ·
I would give someone else's tunes a try, also keep in mind spooling a larger turbo on stock sticks will equal more lag than a factory turbo but that can be remedied with tuning. Try one of the other venders tunes and see how that goes, Innovative, GearHead, TSD, RCD and so on there is plenty to choose from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.