Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 straight pipe do-over

9K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  slowcoupe 
#1 ·
I listened to all you guys who love the sound of a straight piped 6.0 and had the itch to delete the muffler. So I did. I have to say, it rumbled great until the hair dryer turned on. Out for a drive...resonates a little about 2000rpm, no big deal, it sounds kinda cool. BUT at 2600rpm it sounds like a jack@$$ playing a trumpet...badly! Do you guys with straight pipes have this noise, or is it combining factors. Let me know if this is fixable, or I'm taking the pipe out and welding the muffler back. BTW, 4" turbo back.

#2 ·
Lol. I just installed my 4" straight and was thinking the same thing. Its sounds great until the cherry bomb cackle at 3 grand.

#5 ·
I'm running looney. I love the drone not the crackle. Stock it doesn't have that. Must be a timing related sound.

#7 ·
man I love my 4" straight pipe, how could it sound more badass at 2200rpm and above? it's all V8 throat

you're still going to get the hair drier sound with a muffler, just not as loud.

I've run a few different setups. Stock turbo with and without muffler, 03 turbo with and without muffler. I still like the 06 turbo and straight pipe the best.

#8 ·
Do you guys have single (thin) walled tips installed?

I have noticed my truck (thin material tip) has a more annoying tinging/crackle compared to other local ORG members with either a thicker walled tip or no tip at all..

If everyone could EDIT their threads to see the difference that would be great:please:

I still LOVE my straight piped 6oh:nod:

#9 ·
I'm with ya the sound of the straight pipe!!! mine is out of stacks and sounds even better with the rear window open! Even stock I liked it an with Vivian's looney and looney track it's even Better

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Reactions: SAILOR97
#10 ·
The more I hear mine the more I seem to like it. I find myself windows down no A/C in90* heat to listen to that sound. I have a home made 5" tip cut from a international stack.

#11 ·
add a smoke switch and drive around with that on the entire time.. big block V-8 sound! haha jk because ur EGT's and acceleration would suck bad... but i flip mine from time to time at idle and it sounds SICK

#13 ·
I have the looney and the smoke switch haha I only use it when I get a case of road rage as my wife calls it I call it education but either way hahaha

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#15 ·
I have a 5" MBRP turbo-back no cat no muffler with a 6" RBP tip and I think it sounds awesome. Even though the 5" doesn't really improve performance at all it sure makes it louder at WOT. Before I got my 5" kit I drove around with the exhaust cut off from the muffler back and it did sounds sort of strange, that was also before I was tuned. Vivian's looney also made it sound better/louder.

#17 ·
Here's the Home-made tip.

Heres the truck

#19 ·
I have a 3.5" down pipe into a 4 inch straight pipe, I ride with my right window down so I can hear it better! No cat, no muffler, no problem! That trombone sound when I'm in the loud pedal is f'in AWESOME! :icon_ford:

#21 ·
Diesel N Blood, your truck sounds exactly like mine! I think it sounds freaking awesome. Cool video too dude. I ride around with my windows cracked too just to hear it better :drool:

#22 ·
I'm going to awaken this thread from the dead. I recently switched to a 4in downpipe and now I got that horrible glass shattering sound at 2600rpm. Its straight pipe only thing changed was the downpipe from 3.5 to 4in

#23 ·
I could be wrong, but I don't see a 3.5" DP change to a 4" making any sound difference. That said I love my exhaust (4" turbo back) and wish it was a bit louder. I am used to my car though ('09 Roush Mustang with long tube headers, catless H-pipe, and shorty Borla straight through mufflers). I plan on redoing my exhaust and going to 5" after the downpipe. Not for performance, just hoping for a louder, deeper tone.

#24 ·
It definitely did only thing changed was downpipe. First thought was the downpipe was vibrating on something completely reinstalled the exhaust and still sounds like pure crap just at 2600rpm. Sounds awesome other than that one spot in the rpm

#25 ·
Sounds to me like there's something up elsewhere. The 4" DP is a bear to get in with nothing rubbing. I thought I had mine in, but had to readjust is twice to get rid if all the rubbing/buzzing.

#31 ·
I had a problem with my pipe wanting to rotate towards the trans skid plate, and rub the two bolt heads. I had to make a bracket from flat stock, drill a hole in the skid, attach the stock to the skid and the clamp, isolated with rubber pads. It got rid of my rattle sound. I can take a pic tmrw if you need it.

#26 ·
Doesn't make sense ive looked around the downpipe with a flashlight and it seems to have good clearance almost a fingers with around it. Sucks having to take off the whole exhaust just to adjust the downpipe

#27 ·
Is yours a 2 piece DP? Mine is and I just loosened the clamp for those 2 and then the clamp that clamps the 2nd DP piece to the intermediate pipe.

#28 ·
It is 2 piece I didn't figure I could get it to move with the exhaust attached but I may be wrong

#29 ·
I'd try that before removing it. I was able to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.