Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 straight pipe do-over

9K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  slowcoupe 
#1 ·
I listened to all you guys who love the sound of a straight piped 6.0 and had the itch to delete the muffler. So I did. I have to say, it rumbled great until the hair dryer turned on. Out for a drive...resonates a little about 2000rpm, no big deal, it sounds kinda cool. BUT at 2600rpm it sounds like a jack@$$ playing a trumpet...badly! Do you guys with straight pipes have this noise, or is it combining factors. Let me know if this is fixable, or I'm taking the pipe out and welding the muffler back. BTW, 4" turbo back.

#30 ·
Can you upload a video so we can hear what you are talking about? There is no vibration at all, just a glass shattering sound? Idk? Did you check all the clamps and is the exhaust tightly secure? Is there any blow by on the pipe?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#32 ·
I will say that I've noticed that sound before. Back when I ran an edge it would start on level 3 WOT runs. I'm SCT tuned now and it shows up on looney wild but not Xtreme street. Either way, I also turn the radio down, pass window down, and listen to her sing to me.

#33 ·
Doesn't make the sound stock tuned. I run srl and it does. I may try out a different tune.

#34 ·
I can try to get a video soon. I haven't noticed any blow by

#35 ·
Thought I'd update. I took my exhaust apart several times made sure downpipe had clearance I had no luck sounded terrible just at 2700rpm. So today I took it apart again and put my mbrp muffler on fixed the noise. Sounds good again but wish it was a touch louder.

#36 ·
This is my second 2006 F250 my first one was 4" downpipe all the way back with a hollowed out cat. Exhaust note was awesome.

Get truck I now have today and I put a SS 4" downpipe back system and it sounded great except at wot. Like everyone stated 2700 rpm up was a awful groan sound???

So I decided to try knocking out this cat and weld 4" to it. Once I put the empty cat on it that awful tone at wot was gone. I know it's strange but there must be something to the small expansion chamber from the empty cat.
It works that much I can tell you.
I have recently also installed a Corsa muffler to get it a little quieter too.

If you have your cat laying around give it a try. Don't pound a straight pipe through it. Lol

#37 ·
My truck didn't come with the cat. The mbrp muffler I used looks like a glasspack inside and I even put it on what I would consider backwards with the opening facing out. Amazed me how much it quieted the exhaust down doesn't look like it would do much being backwards. At least I don't have that glass shattering sound at 2700rpm now

#38 ·
Well if any of your gentleman decide to go the muffler route I have a 5" magnaflow for sale. Just removed it from my 6.0. I personally am on my 5th powerstroke... some with a muffler when purchased but they always end up without one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.