Towing with bigger turbo,tunes.MAD::::: - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing with bigger turbo,tunes.MAD:::::

OK I hate to do this but I'm starting another thread for guys that tow.Why well atleast it is what they want to know and things they can share.

So, I will start with what I know to be true on examples of my testers,turbo,tunes,mpg,and loads.
Because I'm the MADMAN most of the reviews will be with the stage 1 turbo,and combination.But,I still want to here about other turbos and combo's.Like I stated before this is only to help the towing guys make a better decidition on combos,I'm not saying the combos I make are the best,so lets start sharing info.

Ok,Nate a member on this forum has stage 1 turbo,stock injectors in his 2005 f250 ext. cab 4X4.One his thread he stated he towed 11000 lbs for Altanta G.A. to TN smokey mountains.He ran a quadzilla tow tune,EGTS staied in check and averaged 14 mpg highway,mountain ,city with his load.

My friend Bert,the guy I built the 2003 f350 crewcab dually 4X4,also with the stage 1,stock injectors.Bert is alittle crazy and wants to test truck,to the limit.He has alot of things he has done with his truck,but here's the latest.He told me that a friend of his that does industral buisiness needed a load on a triler taken from Memphi to the other side of Alabama.He averaged 70-80 mph the whole trip,hightest EGT to keep that speed was 1170.Hand Cal. fuel usage was 13.3,tune he was running Vivains looney wild,load 23000 lbs.I don't tow much but that seems good to me.

Well,thats it untill I get more reviews for other testers.So, lets hear so more for other guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
23000lbs and Looney Wild @ 70-80mph?????
Old 05-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpowerstroke View Post
My friend Bert,the guy I built the 2003 f350 crewcab dually 4X4,also with the stage 1,stock injectors.Bert is alittle crazy and wants to test truck,to the limit.He has alot of things he has done with his truck,but here's the latest.He told me that a friend of his that does industral buisiness needed a load on a triler taken from Memphi to the other side of Alabama.He averaged 70-80 mph the whole trip,hightest EGT to keep that speed was 1170.Hand Cal. fuel usage was 13.3,tune he was running Vivains looney wild,load 23000 lbs.I don't tow much but that seems good to me.
I think it's very important to mention that this was WITHOUT any FICM tuning. With an aggressive FICM tune like the Atlas 80 or Hercules FICM tune this would not have been possible. To get maximum horsepower from the stock injectors with these turbo's you'll need FICM tuning, but the FICM tuning will also raise your EGT's significantly. I am of the opinion that towing with Bills Hercules FICM tune will still be possible (as long as you watch your EGT's) with the Stage 1 and Stage 2. You'll have higher EGT's than 1170 if you decide to tow 20,000lbs+ , but that is kinda to be expected. These turbo's and stock injectors are gonna make for some wicked tow vehicles, that will be able to destroy other vehicles on the street.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

You are right none of the trucks had a FICM tune on them.Still waiting to hear from the towing members,I know they are always asking so that's why I started this post, not just to talk about the MAD turbos but,all the turbos and tuning.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:11 PM
The Silent Service

This is the thread I've been waiting to see come up. Building my truck to tow, everything else is secondary. 13 mpg with a 23K gross, is no small feat. Keep up the great work here Madpowerstroke, and I'll keep an eye on the progress.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

I was waiting to hear from you.I was going to post on one of the other threads for the MAD turbos,but I wanted a special section for the towing members to talk about towing number and feats no matter what turbos or upgrades.I have gotten so much PM's on towing and what I think is best,to be honest I don't tow so to get the best info on towing I thought the towing members would know.I will up date any info I get for the guys that are using the MAD turbos for towing on here,but I wanted this thread to talk about all the towing products offered.Thanks.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
This is the thread I've been waiting to see come up. Building my truck to tow, everything else is secondary. 13 mpg with a 23K gross, is no small feat. Keep up the great work here Madpowerstroke, and I'll keep an eye on the progress.
I agree with the above statement! I lurk constantly but this is the information that I look for. Anything to make the 6.0 more efficient and able to flatten hills is a good thing!
Old 05-20-2012, 05:41 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpowerstroke View Post
I was waiting to hear from you.I was going to post on one of the other threads for the MAD turbos,but I wanted a special section for the towing members to talk about towing number and feats no matter what turbos or upgrades.I have gotten so much PM's on towing and what I think is best,to be honest I don't tow so to get the best info on towing I thought the towing members would know.I will up date any info I get for the guys that are using the MAD turbos for towing on here,but I wanted this thread to talk about all the towing products offered.Thanks.
Keeping this open to any injector/turbo combination, I've towed 15K estimated gross (not the heaviest of loads, but it was an interesting trip from VT to VA, February of '11) running just the tow file from IDP. EGT's were manageable under 1050*, and had zero issues maintaining 60-65 ascending and descending the grades. Oil temps where maintained under 215* on the climbs. Mileage on that trip averaged around 13.0-13.5 mpg, which is what I used to get empty under stock programming. I had similar success with my last PCS move, hauling a gross of 18,040#. Temps were a little higher with the extra weight, and mileage suffered from traffic throughout NJ. Even with stock injectors and turbo these trucks are designed to work, and I didn't have issues in traffic getting the truck moving from a stop. These will be my benchmark numbers to measure my future modifications against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaed View Post
I agree with the above statement! I lurk constantly but this is the information that I look for. Anything to make the 6.0 more efficient and able to flatten hills is a good thing!
Welcome to the ORG.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pulled 16,000lbs yesterday on an IIS Stage 1, 155cc/0%, Atlas 40, and a canned Gryphon tow tune (still waiting for my customs). The biggest noticeable difference was the Altas 40, it's worth every penny; and that's coming off the original PHP FICM tunes from long ago. As this is a tow rig I won't be going any bigger than where I'm at now. The truck tows exceptionally well, light years ahead of the stock configuration.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is what I was waiting for. Towing 13k+ on daily bases and having a real hart time with the Pmax keeping my EGT's in check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.