Beat to Death Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Beat to Death Questions

I have never owned a diesel before, and I found a clean 2005 6.0 Lariat at a dealership. It has a coolant filter on it. so I have a couple of probably dumb questions.

1) How can you tell if you have studs?

2) I bought a SCT Tuner after reading everyone's reviews, I am looking for Fuel Mileage however once a month I will pull a 7-8000lb enclosed trailer (Motocross). I don't care if I get there fast or blow out black smoke I just want good fuel mileage without grenading my truck engine. I have it on tow right now. Is there a better option? Should I change reflash it everytime I pull to tow and put it on some other for everyday use? If so what should my everyday be (assuming its completely stock engine)

Thank You for your tolerance to an idiot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
well first off .

And to your questions

1. You can see the bottom row of head bolts or studs. If they are arp head studs it will say it on head of the stud.

2. Alot of people on here say they put their tuners on performance to get the best mpg just got to keep your foot out of the pedal to much.

Hope this helps some.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here you are. A bolt head looks like a bolt head and a stud looks like a stud with a nut as in the pic.

Oh yeah, get a custom tow tune and a custom high power tune like Vivian's looney or Matt's SRL or Chris's SPD and keep your foot out of it. That will give you the best mileage.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 05-18-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post #16 in this thread has even better pics of what head studs look like.
Advice!!!
Original head bolts will have a hex head. Not dumb questions at all, by the way. The coolant filter is encouraging to hear. Get a monitoring device such as the scangauge II that can read the sensors in the engine for oil temp, coolant temp, transmission fluid temp, and much more. A common problem with this engine is that the coolant craps out and clogs the narrow passages in the oil cooler, leading to overheating/failure of the EGR cooler and blown head gaskets. The monitoring device will let you see the difference between your coolant temp and oil temp and determine if the oil cooler needs to be replaced. Meanwhile, have you got maintenance records? Will you be changing all fluids?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.