SCT Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT Question

I'm looking at getting a tuner, and with custom tunes have the EGT turned off is this safe without doing the delete? Will I still have to worry about the cooler having heat issues? Basically a good idea or not?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralderman View Post
I'm looking at getting a tuner, and with custom tunes have the EGT turned off is this safe without doing the delete?
Yes, but I think you mean EGR Valve.

Quote:
Will I still have to worry about the cooler having heat issues?
Yes. Hot exhaust and coolant are still flowing through the EGR cooler, so the risk is still there. The only way to eliminate the risk is by removing the cooler.

Quote:
Basically a good idea or not?

Thanks
Still always a good idea.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 AM

lol, yea I meant the EGR valve. Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I eventually want to delete the EGR but I'm not sure what I should do first. I know if I delete the EGR I need a tuner to remove the CEL, or plug in the valve and leave it in the engine compartment. I want a tuner, just trying to pick the best way forward. Delete or SCT first?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

R u getting custom tunes or just the preloaded tunes?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Nvm I just read ur first comment. It's too damn early haha. I would do the egr delete first so u can tell ur custom tuning guy ur mods. I would also do the whole delete because as long as the cooler is still on the truck there is always a chance of it failing after u delete the egr it will lower ur egts as well which is always good especially runnin a tune
Old 05-17-2012, 03:37 AM

i recomend the SCT Liverwire it has the gauges pluse you can get custom tunes from alot of places (i hear good things about IDP's tunes) i run the livewire and i love it it can watch a whole bunch or parameters all at once and on the economy tune that comes on it i noticed a big change i will be getting it custome tuned but i am saving money for otherthings first ( coolant filter, exhaust, leveling kit)
Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ya that's a good idea I was gonna get gauges but the livewire would save me some money. And I agree Eric's tunes r supposed to be the best I might try a few other like gearhead and dj just to see what fits my driving best but IDP is definitely gonna be first on the list. How r the pre loaded tunes on the livewire I might get the tuner first and run those till I delete my egr. They have to be quicker than the superchip haha
Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 AM

I would only do custom tunes. Yea, I agree with the whole delete and that's what I eventually want. I already have the Edge Insight so I don't need gauges.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogers7870 View Post
Ya that's a good idea I was gonna get gauges but the livewire would save me some money. And I agree Eric's tunes r supposed to be the best I might try a few other like gearhead and dj just to see what fits my driving best but IDP is definitely gonna be first on the list. How r the pre loaded tunes on the livewire I might get the tuner first and run those till I delete my egr. They have to be quicker than the superchip haha
Livewire you can watch about everything including injector timing. the only thing i dont like is that it reads turboboost and some others clear down to 2 decimal places (.00) so it looks like it changes alot but i just focus on the primary numbers. i hear great things about eric and about "vivian" i dont know who she is or where but i'm contantly reading about people running her looney tune and they love it. if you look at some performance places they have IDP tunes for $40ea istead of actually going to IDP and paying $80ea. i got my livewire from defuser.com it came with a dash or windshield mount and i bought the egt probe i think it was $589 all together (alot cheaper than some other places that charge $30 for the mount ontop of $600+ for the tuner and $90 for the probe)
Old 05-17-2012, 04:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ya I plan on only doing custom tunes but I was thinking of selling the superchip then getting the sct tuner and running the pre loaded tunes for a month or so until I delete the egr I want to do that before Eric rights the tune for my truck so that I don't have to have a new tune written up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.