Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How to tell if I have headstuds?

22K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Mongo73 
#1 ·
Is there anyway to see if my truck really has headstuds? The previous owner say he did but you can never trust anyone, so is there anyway to take a quick peak at something and look? Thanks!

#2 ·
Yep. Pop the hood and look at the front of the motor at the passenger side valve cover on the bottom right corner and if you see a decently large 12 point nut, then you have studs. If you have a 6 point nut, then you dont. You could also take a pic of this location and post it and I'll tell you what you have. Hope this helps.

#15 ·
So just to confirm, if one should have head studs with a 12 point nut, it means aftermarket head studs were installed, correct? A normal looking nut to me is a 6 point nut, which in your other post you said if you have 12 point then its studded. Im so confused....bear with me I am learning!!! lol :confused::banging::tard:

#16 ·
correct tty bolts have a regular 6 point head and studs will typically have a 12 point nut pulled down on the stud. arp studs anyways

#17 ·
excellent, just another hidden mod that was done to this truck that I am discovering! must be my birthday! lol glad you are up this late with me John! lol :ford:!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.