Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

VGT and NON-VGT Turbo's what's the difference

83K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  TooMuch03 
#1 ·
Ok I'm gonna go ahead and say sorry for this up front cause I know somebody will look at this and say I should have search it but I have which is why I'm posting this. As you can see in my sig I'm running Warren's 190/75 injectors and I want to clean them up so to speak. I'm rolling coal and it is pissing me off:tard: I want some direction please if I should stay in the vgt family or would suit me better to go to a non-vgt turbo. If somebody would be so kind as to help me understand the difference, can a non-vgt flow more air or what? I know Adrian(madpowerstroke) is building a stage 3 turbo and it seems like it will clean up 175's but he still has alot more testing to do on it and I don't know when a stage 3 will be on the open market and I'm tired of the smoke. Please help

#3 ·
Yeah I know I just hated to do that but it looks like I'm gonna have to for a while. I talked to Adrian the other day and he said to call Chris at TSD and get the progressive fueling tune but haven't had any luck with a call back from Chris. I will try him again tomorrow but just was really wondering the difference and what would better suit me?

#4 ·
From what I've read, NON-VGT flows more air but you get turbo lag. Where as VGT doesn't have near as much lag but will run out of air up top.

Reactions: BigLou67
#5 ·
Ok that helps a little bit, I guess it's like picking the lesser of two evils?

#6 ·
Yea it's pretty much what you plan on doing with the truck. A lot of people don't like towing heavy with a non-VGT because when it's in overdrive and you roll down on the throttle it won't spool like a VGT will. However if your drag racing then getting a non-VGT spooled up for a launch isn't really a problem and you have more air in the upper rpm range.

#7 ·
It depends on what you use your vehicle for and what you want it to do. A VGT turbo has an electrical solenoid that actuate a set of vanes for optimizing exhaust flow to the turbine wheel for spool up where a Non-VGT turbo just has a turbine wheel that must be spooled with however fast and hot the exhaust gases enter the housing. Smaller A/R housings spool quicker than larger ones as it creates more pressure to get the turbine wheel spinning. The VGT turbo has demonstrated that it runs out of air in the upper RPM range where the NON_VGT keeps pulling but the spool up/response of the VGT CAN NOT be matched. I would say if you need to tow, get a VGT if not and only care about street/track use, get a non-VGT but believe me (as I was wanting a non-VGT until about 2 months ago) I would wait to see what MAD develops. I have TSD's progressive fueling with my 190/100s and as long as I stay less than 30% throttle, I dont see any smoke. Hope this helps a little.

#8 ·
Windrunner408 that helps and maybe will even calm me down a little bit. I do plan on towing with it and would def. love to have one of Adrian's turbo's just wasn't sure how long I would have to wait but if the progressive fueling will take away some of the smoke then I will go that route for now. Thanks for all the info from everybody

#13 ·
So would it not be worth calling Chris or what do you think? I got my FICM tuned by PHP on Saturday so he told me to get it retuned with some different strategy codes. Does this play a role in it as well? Thanks in advance

#12 ·
I'm running Matt's (Gearhead) SRL+70 tune and it is alot of smoke. Cruising back from the GPDA dyno of the turbo's on Saturday it was around 850-950. So any drop in the EGT is a good thing so I will be calling them tomorrow.

#15 ·
I know that was what I was kind of thinking. I will be driving and look down then i'm like:eek:hnoes: What the h***! Then I let off and it will go down to 650 to 750 but I'm worried bout towing.

#20 ·
I know you are good friends with Adrian so in your opinion do you think the stage 3 will clean them up? In other words how big is big?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#21 ·
Based on the fact that no single charger out there can fully clean up 190s without smoking like a freight train until it lights, I would say that the Stage 3 will be the only thing out there that has a real chance at it. I think RCD's 68mm Powermax comes close but still leaves a bit to be desired and Adrian's Stage 3 (provided it actually works) will have the same size compressor wheel as the 68mm Powermax but a bigger turbine wheel; so it should spin the compressor wheel faster, which should flow more air and hopefully clean the injectors up. Also by clean the injectors up, I mean keep EGTs to less than 1300F on a WOT run to 100 mph. So far the only setup right now proven (IIRC or IMO even have a chance) to fully clean up a set of 190s would be compounds.

#22 ·
Ok thank you for your help windrunner by compounds do you mean twin turbo's? Don't think I wanna go down that road so I think I will wait on Adrians numbers on the stage 3

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#24 ·
He means compunds, one big turbo and one little one in series. Twins would two of the same size, probably in parallel. Nobody does twins on a 6.0.

Edit: I am kinda splitting hairs here ^^^ but there is a difference :thumb:

With a single charger whether you go VGT or nonVGT, you will have to sacrifice some spool up to move enough air up top to clean up the injectors, or you will sacrifice some top end to have great spool up. You have to find a happy mediu Heck, even a truck with stock sticksand turbo will smoke like nuts if you get under the turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.