Break 500HP and 1000ftlbs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 08:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Break 500HP and 1000ftlbs

What do you need to break these numbers? Other than money... I have and 03 with a 6 speed
Air intake
intake manifold
4' exhaust
ARP studs
SCT custom tunes
Fuel pressure spring upgrade
EGR delete
bullet proof oil cooler
ccv
zoodad

Can I break those numbers with bigger injectors and custom tuning? I'd like to keep stock turbo if possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well upgrade your fuel system bigger injectors and you might touch 500hp with some good custom tuning. But it's tough to say without upgrading the turbo it's a close call I believe.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:51 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well as of just yesterday, 485rwhp and 970ft-lbs of torque have been made with a MTW Stage 2 turbo and tuning. I think there is an exhaust in there as well.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Easier and cheaper to change the turbo.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:58 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

And that kind of power can be used all the time provided that the timing isnt too far advanced I guess. I know I would be happy with 485/970 with just a turbo and tuning.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Now lets remember the stock Hp/torque ratings are 325/570. So how in the Heck does a Turbo/Tuning/Exhaust give you 160 more Hp and 400 more ft lbs of torque? Are you guys running the Looney tune to get these numbers?
Start Explaining !

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Well as of just yesterday, 485rwhp and 970ft-lbs of torque have been made with a MTW Stage 2 turbo and tuning. I think there is an exhaust in there as well.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:24 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Actually a stock truck will typically dyno at 270 hp and like 490 ft-lbs of torque, all at the rear wheels.

The simple truth is that diesels LOVE air more than they love diesel. Everyone thinks you have throw more diesel to get horse power but what is NOS?? NOS is nitrogen and oxygen. Nitrogen is inert (therefore does not burn or make power) and Oxygen is what causes the boom (so to speak) with diesel and guys can easily spray to over 500hp with stock injectors and all they are doing is adding in A LOT more Oxygen. Well a turbo can do something similar with more air. And what makes up air?? Nitrogen (~79%), Oxygen (~20%), and Argon (~1%). Well Nitrogen and Argon are inert (therefore dont burn and make power) and like NOS, compressing more air will put in more Oxygen and cause a cleaner burn, which means more CO2 is produced as opposed to CO (black smoke), therefore creating MORE POWER

Ok well that is text book answer. What no kidding is going down to make this happen is the Stage 2 simply flows A LOT more air than the stock turbo AND with a high performance tune (like the Looney or SPD or Xtreme X or ) AND PHP's Hercules FICM tune, you get just about every drop of fuel you can out of the injectors and into the cylinders, which is A LOT more fuel than is being delivered with stock ECM and FICM strategies; and BAM the motor starts making HIGH horse power numbers compared to stock.

So in summary you shoot in a sh!t load of air with ALL of the fuel that the stock injectors will flow and there you have it, a ~490rwhp ~970ft-lbs truck. Hope this helps explain it a little better for ya.

Last edited by windrunner408; 05-13-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: clearification
Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Plus it seems the MTW's don't run out of air at 3300 or so rpms either. These engines love to rev. Wasn't a few months ago, most were thinking around mid 400's was it for stock injectors.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Nate, i gotta get my hands on one of Adrians Turbos!
Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Yes. From all the results that I have seen so far with these turbos. It really seems like the Stage 2 is the way to go if one is looking for an upgraded turbo with either stock or 155/50s or 175/stock injectors. The stage 1 is good for a stock replacement as it will out perform it in every way but if I were looking to spend money on making all the power I could with stock injectors or 155s, I would get the stage 2. JMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.