which turbo and injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
which turbo and injectors

I am new to all the 6.0 stuff but truck is studed and had the panty dropper on and now want more. I dont tow much of anything the trucks more of a weekend warrior like me. Was thinking of goining with some 190 100% and read alot about mad powerstrokes turbos but not sure how to get one even if there 4 sale. The only other turbos ive seen some decent reviews were the ssx. If anyone can give a newby some advice it would help me out alot thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I recommend waiting for now. IMHO, with the currently available turbo options out there for a single charger, there isnt anything that will fully clean up anything larger than 175/75s that has great spooling characteristics and doesnt smoke like a freight train until lit. If you are set on running 190s, then I recommend waiting to see what options Madpowerstroke releases for his turbos. I have 190s and I can run them with his stage 1 turbo but it doesnt even come close to cleaning them up and my EGTs can hit 1800F on a WOT run to 100mph. I can tell you that you can get one but there isnt really one yet suited for 190s. I believe the one he is currently working on will probably be able to handle 190s but we dont yet. It has to be tested and proven first. If you are set on getting a turbo like now, I have heard the SSX is a good turbo but I would go with RCD's 68mm Powermax. Hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That does help thanks i didnt think 190s were that big where u almost needed compounds. Is there any word on when madpowerstroke might be done testing and start selling? I guess RCD has good turbos just cant trust there injectors?! From what i understand warrens injectors are some good 1s?! Sorry for so many questions just trying to figure some stuff out.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:49 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

From what I understand about RCD, they make good turbos and injectors. I guess back in the day, they had problems but everything I have heard of recently has been nothing but good.
It isnt that 190s are just SO big you need compounds, what it comes down to is that you dont really gain a whole lot by just throwing fuel at the equation. You also need air and A LOT more of it than fuel in order to burn clean and not have your EGTs go climbing through the roof. Hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
RCD's 68mm VGT has been getting some great reviews lately. I know there was some trouble with the larger VGTs like RCD's and the SSX, but I think most of those are fixed by now. IMO the SSX is not large enough to clean up 190s. I think their Powermax HO would be better for that, and it is more comparable to the RCD 68mm.

I am not 100% sold that large VGTs are the way to go. A properly spec'ed smaller nonVGT should spool and flow similarly to a large VGT, especially if you install a diverter valve or better flowing up-pipes. Either way, in order to run a single charger with 190s or bigger, you will have to sacrifice spool up speed to get enough flow to clean up the fuel, or you will have to sacrifice some top end to get really quick spool up.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Call dozers diesel on Monday and see how you can go about getting a mad turbo. my 2 cents. Non vgt turbo is bigger $$

Sent from my droidx using autoguide app
Old 05-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
Call dozers diesel on Monday and see how you can go about getting a mad turbo. my 2 cents. Non vgt turbo is bigger $$

Sent from my droidx using autoguide app
Disagree.

when you are looking at the siz of turbos needed to handle 190s, there are a wider selection of nonVGTs out there, and for pretty much the same cost.

RCD 68mm VGT = $2,250
RCD 64mm nonVGT = $2,250

Both turbos are great match for the 190s and cost the same. There are other companies that make nonVGT kits for less than that even.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:07 PM

Plus getting the tuning right so you don't fog everything out. Fuel can be pulled to help that out. I had 205's running compounds(s364/s475) and with careful tuning, the whole outfit worked great(low smoke, hellacious power, and decent mileage,) until it all went kaboom.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:26 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

What happened man if you dont mind me asking??
Old 05-12-2012, 04:34 PM

I'll pm you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.