blow off valve reduce boost at speed? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
blow off valve reduce boost at speed?

ive been pondering the thought for awhile now about putting a blow off valve on the truck to see if at cruising speed ay 75mph i can lower the boost down around 4psi or even lower to help with fuel economy.

i know on my cars as long as u stay out the gas hard u can cruise with little to no boost at all.

i do realize the trucks are heavy ect.. but they still should make enough power NA to push its own *** once its up to speed without pulling......

has this been done or attempted yet ect...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

no

first off there is no throttle body to create the vacuum you want to vent the BOV. And believe it or not the extra air is probably helping fuel as you are getting a more complete burn. Coming from someone who is huge turbo'd the truck out of boost at 75 is a dog and actually runs higher EGTs without the air.

i have tried this theory when i was stock turbo by flipping the smoke switch, which basically opens the turbo all the way up, and would drop psi as much as 6 psi cruising and had no improvement in mpg, made it harder to drive and smoked a hell of a lot unless you are going to reach up and keep flipping the switch on and off.

if you want fuel economy do the mods:
exhaust, egr delete, tunes and drive slower. these trucks start to drink fuel at 70+ sadly i drive like you as i live in atlanta and 285 means you get crushed if you do less than 70. but if i drop rpms below 2k and even around 1800 which is about 60-65 the mileage increase is surprising.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
a BOV will only stop the surge(turbo fart) from when you suddenly let off the throttle...that's it.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:13 PM

why would you want to use less air at 75? the air from the turbo keeps you from chuggin the fuel right out your tank, i just got back from a 300 mile trip and i ran bout 8-11 psi at 75 and was running about 680-715 egts and got 18mpgs the best i have ever gotten
Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLIMPORT View Post
ive been pondering the thought for awhile now about putting a blow off valve on the truck to see if at cruising speed ay 75mph i can lower the boost down around 4psi or even lower to help with fuel economy.

i know on my cars as long as u stay out the gas hard u can cruise with little to no boost at all.

i do realize the trucks are heavy ect.. but they still should make enough power NA to push its own *** once its up to speed without pulling......

has this been done or attempted yet ect...?
this is a diesel
Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM

diesel= more boost is better
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM

BOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTT
Old 05-10-2012, 04:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

actually i always run at 80 mph.... as i drive about 1.5-3 hours a day sometimes the turnpike ..
i guess it could possibly work with a actual tuner on the truck so u can lower the fuel as the boost goes down .. but not so sure..

seems to get ok mileage.
i still get 4-5 days out of one tank & that includes city driving, just trying to squeeze little more out.

thx
Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
actually i always run at 80 mph.... as i drive about 1.5-3 hours a day sometimes the turnpike ..
i guess it could possibly work with a actual tuner on the truck so u can lower the fuel as the boost goes down .. but not so sure..
seems to get ok mileage.
i still get 4-5 days out of one tank & that includes city driving, just trying to squeeze little more out.

thx
LOL...what? Please dont tell everyone that you actually think that a BOV works as a tuner. Do you have any clue what a BOV does or is suppose to do?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:

seems to get ok mileage.

thx

The more boost you have at speed means the harder the truck is working reducing the about of boost it sees will make the truck run with less air meaning it wont work as efficient. So the amount of boost is the effect not the cause. wanting to reduce the boost is not what you should be doing.

Also you will get the best mileage in your hottest tune. your truck will have more power so it works less to maintain your speed. It will also have lower boost (while at speed not WOT) in your hottest tune because it is working less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.