What brand to go with? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What brand to go with?

I have a 2006 f-250 6.0. And I am going to start doing a few minor mods to it. Such as cai exhaust and tuner more for fuel economy and towing. But i would like to stick to one manufactuer for everyhting or try to at least. What do yall recommend.
Thanks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Stock air intake, Diamond Eye or MBRP Exhuast (4" is common, 5" is loud), and the ONLY tuner for the 6ohs is a SCT with CUSTOM tunes written by...

Eric @ Innovative Diesel
Matt @ Gearhead Automotive
Vivian @ Quicktricks
Chris @ ....TruckSourceDiesel
Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-450 HOTSHOTER View Post
I have a 2006 f-250 6.0. And I am going to start doing a few minor mods to it. Such as cai exhaust and tuner more for fuel economy and towing. But i would like to stick to one manufactuer for everyhting or try to at least. What do yall recommend.
Thanks.....
Actually sticking to one manufacturer is really an option IMO unless you want to go with Banks and they straight up suck IMO. Their sh!t is over priced and does less than properly pieced together upgrade stages. What is mentioned above is really the way to go for a nice bump in power and fuel economy. If you really want an aftermarket CAI, I would go with S&B. They are cheap, look great, and perform well. Exhausts, I have to say I am a fan of either MRBP or Magnaflow. They can be expensive but are worth the money IMO. Also I recommend before you do anything. And I mean anything. Take from someone who has been there before (just look at my sig man), get an Edge CTS monitor. It will be just as valuable as a SCT tuner and will allow you to see how your engine's health currently is and how upgrades affect it. JMO and hope it helps.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

I totally forgot to tell the OP..

GAUGE First!!!!

Edge CS or CTS, or a cheaper option is a scangauge2.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post

I totally forgot to tell the OP..

GAUGE First!!!!

Edge CS or CTS, or a cheaper option is a scangauge2.
Don't forget about DashBoss for iOS devices and Torque for Android.

Like above said, a monitor/gauges solution first.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Give us a call we can hook you up with all the above with IDP tunes. Ask for me and I will be more than happy to get you taken care of!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:06 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-450 HOTSHOTER View Post
Thanks.....
Welcome to the ORG. First and foremost, is a monitoring package for the truck. I recommend the Edge Insight CS or CTS. You need to know whats going on under that hood so if you have to, you can drop that performance money on corrective maintenance. You do not want to stick with one manufacturer for all your after market parts, you will never get the most out of your truck that way, and you'll regret it in the end. Here's what I recommend and why (I reference 500HP a few times, to break that you're looking at major mods, turbo and injectors):

CAI - Not required for these trucks. First the stock Donaldson will support airflow enough to build 500RWHP trucks, and filters better than anything on the market. Sacrificing that filtration, can lead to bigger issues with the intake and turbo down that road. Also you will never see a mileage gain to offset the cost.

Exhaust - 4" turbo back with either a 3.5" (required if you are keeping the CAT) or 4" DP, keeping the CAT and muffler per local requirements is all you need for builds up to 500HP. Stainless steel is really the only thing to look for, I run MBRP.

Tuning - Only tuner I'd run is the SCT, with custom tunes from a trusted tuner on this site. Reason: the tunes are written for you trucks strategy and modifications, and only the SCT actively retunes your transmission (other companies and all shift-on-the-fly programmers rely on transmission relearn, which is hard on the transmission). I run my highest HP tune and see the best mileage gains, as long as I'm not on it it does not smoke. I have a great tow file from IDP as well that is more efficient than stock, and better on the descending grades.

Any questions, just let me know.

ON EDIT: I would go one step further and recommend a Coolant Filter System as well.

Last edited by colo_dually; 05-09-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gauges,MBRP,SCT w/custom tunes. Keep the air intake(don't waste the $$).
Old 05-09-2012, 04:42 AM

Like ppl said, getting all one brand is basically not an option.
BUT getting it all from one vendor, that's a whole other question and has many answers.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 AM

You could get an AFE intake and exhaust, but thats not the best option out there. I would go with an MBRP exhaust, S&B intake, and SCT tuner. Let us know if youd like a quote on a package deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.