Drowning in a sea of exhausts! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drowning in a sea of exhausts!

There are a lot of exhaust threads here. I did not want to start another one but I can't find what I am looking for. 4", 3.5 DP turbo back off road w/muffler. Easy enough. Lots to choose from. Until I add 409SS with NO TIP. I know what you are thinking. What kind of a whack job wants a performance exhaust with no tip? Well that's what I want and that's that. Pretty much stock looking. One can find aluminized systems like this but not stainless. I think there was one that I saw a while ago but that was before I was serious about buying. Now I don't remember where it was or who made it. The reason for 409 and not 304 is cost. Is it possible maybe that some that come with a tip require the cutting of the tailpipe to length. I say that because it seems as though I saw a few with photos that showed a complete exhaust pictured with tip and the tailpipe looked full length. It would be great if it was quiet cruising and louder only under WOT. Especially no drone while cruising (maybe that is only on straights). Some say that a lot of them sound close to stock inside the truck but noticeably louder than stock outside. Most people do not say whether their truck is an XLT or a Lariat. It seems like there would be a difference with the in cab sound level (mine is an XLT) because of more sound deadening material in the Lariats. It would be great to have a "captains choice" style exhaust depending on your mood. Now I am dreaming. Actually there is such a thing: Mr. Gasket 5424 - Mr. Gasket Exhaust Cut-Outs - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Can't give you all of it but I think Magnaflow can give you what you want but has a 4" down pipe. I love mine. I only ran the muffler for about a week. No drone, quiet until you stepped into it then had a nice authoritative growl to it. Me, I just like the straight piped sound of the 6.0 better.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oh how I certainly feel your pain. I have been searching through exhaust systems for 2 weeks straight. Way too many choices out there. I have now begun searching through videos on YouTube in order to sample the sound levels as best I can. Again, way too many options.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 AM

where are you located? if they don't salt the roads, there's absolutely no reason for stainless IMO.

I like factory look also. on my 6.4, I adapted a factory exhaust tip on my 4" exhaust so that it would look factory stock.

I say get ANY 4" system that fits your budget and add a 4" FTE resonator up front after the downpipe. It will be a completely drone-free system at that point
Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Where I am they salt the roads but not as heavy as they do down east and even I don't see the need for SS. Unless it's because you really want the outside to look nice because it's not going to be rusting out from the inside, at least not the diesels that put down a layer of soot inside the exhaust system.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 AM

and if you do want it to look really nice, get 304. 409 gets brown and cruddy looking while aluminized still looks new
Old 05-08-2012, 06:47 AM

Here is what I have Magnaflow 4"dp/4" but this might be closer to what your looking for Magnaflow 3.5"dp/4" check the prices at jegs and summit racing as well as others.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I have now begun searching through videos on YouTube in order to sample the sound levels as best I can
Most are loud and a lot of them do not specify if they have a muffler or not. I think most people are showing off how loud they are. Probably would not be very exciting to have a "listen to how quiet my performance exhaust is" video.
Quote:
where are you located? if they don't salt the roads, there's absolutely no reason for stainless IMO.
Agreed. Dayton OH. Definitely salt on the roads in winter.
Quote:
add a 4" FTE resonator up front after the downpipe
I like it. Someone on another thread posted something similar but with another muffler. Would this (the resonator) restrict flow?
Quote:
and if you do want it to look really nice, get 304. 409 gets brown and cruddy looking while aluminized still looks new
On that note, I believe my factory 7 year old exhaust (not muffler) IS 409. It is a little brown and cruddy. Small surface rust but the tailpipe looks good because I wash/scrub it every time the truck gets washed. The muffler on the other hand is looking iffy esp at the rear exit. Would aluminized hold up that long in my area? If so that is what I would go with. BTW the truck is starting to look rusty underneath and the rear wheel wells are almost rusted through to the outside ('05 89K). I wash it as much as possible in the winter to keep the salt off. Never been undercoated.
Quote:
Here is what I have Magnaflow 4"dp/4" but this might be closer to what your looking for Magnaflow 3.5"dp/4" check the prices at jegs and summit racing as well as others.
That looks good but I wanted to swap the u-clamps for band clamps (if whatever system I go with does not come with them). That one looks like only the tailpipe has a welded tailpipe hanger so the clamps can't be easily swapped out. But we are getting closer!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanester View Post
That looks good but I wanted to swap the u-clamps for band clamps (if whatever system I go with does not come with them). That one looks like only the tailpipe has a welded tailpipe hanger so the clamps can't be easily swapped out. But we are getting closer!
Yes, the only welded hanger is the one on the tail pipe but it uses band clamps on all the connections except for 2 places (rear and front of muffler as it is a hanger). If you look at the image it shows the band clamps. If you look at the install doc they show u bolts... dunno why because Mine was like the image with band clamps
Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Can't give you all of it but I think Magnaflow can give you what you want but has a 4" down pipe. I love mine. I only ran the muffler for about a week. No drone, quiet until you stepped into it then had a nice authoritative growl to it. Me, I just like the straight piped sound of the 6.0 better.
DITTOI think it's just like on a Big Truck. When you go with a large pipe it mellows out the raw ehhaust sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.