New to powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to powerstroke

Hello everyone im new to the forum and new to a powerstroke....but not the diesel world I've been strictly a cumins person but I figured it was time for a change. I have just recently bought a 06 lariat 6.0 crew cab long bed with 123xxx miles and love it so far. I just installed the diamond eye 4" Turbo back exhaust and was just gonna see what tuner/programmer would be the best bet and what problems I should look out for. Thanks
post #2 of 12 Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Welcome to the Org

I'm a 7.3 guy so I'll leave the 6.0 stuff to the experts.

Little tip...add your truck description, details, mods etc to your signature so that guys have something to reference when you are discussing performance ideas etc.

-JJ-

Mine - 94.5 F250 ZF5: Basics w/a few extras, DIY bumper, steps and exhaust, AFEII, D60, PMF 2.25 RSK, V-codes
Hers - 04 GM 2500 CCSB 4x4: LB7, EFI Live by KW, 2" Lift, MBRP 4" dp back
RIP 15/08/23- 98 GM 1500 ECSB 4x4: 6.5, straight pipe, K+N filter, 495km w/original pump, trans & t-case
post #3 of 12 Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Gauges are a must, or something like an edge CT/cts to measure your coolant and oil temp deltas. For the tuner an sct x3 or similar model with custom tunes will be the best.

Welcome to the 6.0 world!

-2005 F250 6.0, EGR Delete, Oil Cooler Upgrade, ARP Headstuds, 5" MBRP Exhaust, Blue Spring Upgrade, SCT X3 w/ IDP Tunes, 17" MetalMoto's, 35" Toyo Mt's, Retro Solutions 55 watt HID Headlights, Xenon Fogs, 08 Tail Lights

post #4 of 12 Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Get something to monitor your EOT ECT delta (scan gauge or CTS Insight) to check the health of your cooling/oil system. That's the first thing on the list.

2nd, SCT X3 with custom tunes is the way to go. I use innovative diesel's, a lot use Eric's, Vivian's, and Matt's.

3rd... use the search function and read the stickies. They will educate you on these trucks.

EDIT: Beat me to it^^^^
post #5 of 12 Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 AM

Welcome,lets make that truck really fun..IMO the EGR cooler needs dealt with first,weather its deleting it or bulletproof unit in it's place.As far as tuners SCT hands down,with a custom writen tune from Gearheads,TSD,Innovative,Quick tricks.Read info on here,just use search bar for more info.

2004 F250 Ext.cab fabtech 5.5" lift,and traction bars 35" on 18".2005-2007 grill and LED headlights,58v FICM, Warren dual HPOP system, fuel reg. return system, areo 1000a fuel pump, dual fuel filters, ARP studded heads, CCV reroute, EGR delete, 225/75 Warren injectors, water/meth injection (cooling mist),SCT tuner with customs, banks intercooler. MTW stage 4 turbo, built trans by Andy Warren, 4:10 Detroit lockers.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys for the info. Ive ran and edge and a quad on both my cummins but I knew there was a few more for a Ford's. I don't really wanna go to wild with it yet and was wondering if it would hurt it any running the sct with stock head bolts and gaskets. That's the only thing that worries me about it thanks
post #7 of 12 Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Garage
Glad to have you - to the ORG!!

Check out the ORG's VA Chapter:
Virginia Strokers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Owner | Operator: Darryl
My Truck Garage: Ol' Guy
Tow Toy Garage : Pilgrim International 31RE3SLF5
United States Navy - IC2 - '76-'80
post #8 of 12 Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpowerstroke View Post
Welcome,lets make that truck really fun..IMO the EGR cooler needs dealt with first,weather its deleting it or bulletproof unit in it's place.As far as tuners SCT hands down,with a custom writen tune from Gearheads,TSD,Innovative,Quick tricks.Read info on here,just use search bar for more info.
I agree with EGR delete I've already looked at a few but can't make up my mind up in which one I want
post #9 of 12 Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe06 View Post
Thanks guys for the info. Ive ran and edge and a quad on both my cummins but I knew there was a few more for a Ford's. I don't really wanna go to wild with it yet and was wondering if it would hurt it any running the sct with stock head bolts and gaskets. That's the only thing that worries me about it thanks
I am running Vivian's Looney tune on my stock head bolts. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!

KCCO
Paul Devereux
2005 FX4 Lariat Dark Shadow Gray
AirRaid Filter, 6 inch Pro Comp Lift. 17 inch Mikey Thompsons with 35 inch Nittos, sinister coolant filter, MBRP 4" straight pipe, 6K HID, Zoodad, SCT with tunes from Vivian (Looney and Looney fuel) and Tony, dashboss with EGT and FP, 08' tail lights, blue spring, lowes CCV mod, 03' turbo

Soon... coolant flush.

post #10 of 12 Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 AM

I ran the Looney tune on stock bolts for 7-8 months before I studded my truck. It's an awesome tune for a truck without studs. Will simply amaze you at the power waiting to be unlocked.

05 F250 FX4 Lariat, SCT Livewire, 155cc injectors, Gryphon FICM tuner, ARP studs, MTW Stage 2 Turbo, Riff Raff boots, Warren Built trans, PMF traction bars ,4 inch straight pipe, Sinister EGR delete, S&B CAI, N-fab bars, level kit, 5% limo tint, 35 Toyos and 20s, Recon smoked everything, Harley headlights, 5k HID's, Camlocker toolbox, lots more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode