First mods?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 05:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First mods??

So just got my first PSD its a 05 KR F350 dully crewcab full bed that I pull my 38ft 5th wheel camper with. With my bike it weighs about 13.6k. So the truck is bone stock with 123k miles and runs great, just made my first trip with it from Florida where I got them both back to CT. And even in the big hills of PA it pulled up them great. But I would just like a few ideas as to what might be some small things to start with that would help improve its towing abilities. I already know I would like a Turbo back exaust and a tuner to start I think lol. Not sure on brand exaust that are good but not outragus price but I was looking at the sct livewire programmer with a dash mount so I could also use it as a moniter.(good idea or should I just get basic tuner and other monitor?). Truck is used for towing and around town driving mostly so only need like tow tune and economy tune as got a stang for power fun lol.
Thanks and sorry for the long first post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First off

As for the truck I suggest an Edge Insight CTS or CS as a monitor solution. It is the best out there IMHO and a great troubleshooting tool besides being a great monitor. Add the EGT probe and the fuel pressure units and you have a great system. There is also a backup camera available which might help hooking up to the camper. For tuning get the SCT X3. It is a bare bones tuner that just holds 3 custom tunes, no canned tunes. Again IMO the canned tunes are not worth paying for and you will never use them once you have a custom tune. Actually the high power tunes will net you the best mpg if you can keep your foot out of it.

First thing is to put the monitor on and check the health of your engine. Check the FICM voltage, and check the oil and coolant temp delta when fully warmed up while running along at 65-70 mph unloaded. The delta should not exceed 15* and is typically under 10*. If it is over 15* your oil cooler is clogged and needs replacing before you start getting expensive downstream damage.

Read the first link in my sig for more info on your new 6.0.

Congrats on the new truck.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Spot on. As Mitch said, read that first link and just come on back with any and all questions you have and we will hopefully get you factual answers to your questions.

You are at a very pivotable point right now with your truck. Since it has 123k on it, I am presuming you are planning on keeping it for the long haul right now as long as it holds up for you.

The main thing to keep in mind when going above stock power levels (for whatever reason) is that there are three parts to this equation. Fast, Reliable, and Cheap. There just isnt anyway to get all three on the very important stuff. You can always have two but three just is unreasonable.

As Mitch mentioned, the Edge CTS Insight Monitor (not evolution monitor and tuner) and the SCT X3 tuner is the BEST combo you can get PERIOD. Yes it is expensive (remember two of the three) but take it from a guy that has A LOT of modifications done to his truck (just look at my signature) that these two are probably my overall BEST modifications that make all the rest even possible and I am just trying to save you the headache of doing things the "cheap" way first and finding out it either doesnt work or doesnt work the way you want it to and thus paying more money than if you went with the better product from the start. Also, for the love of God stay away from Banks, Quadzilla, etc., anything but SCT. Hope this helps. Fire away with your questions and again welcome to the org.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I get the CTS, expandable pyro, coolant filter, fuel pressure gauge need to know the health of the motor.
2 stroker
Old 05-01-2012, 04:21 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Just remember the Diesel Performance world is not cheap. If you want to play your going to pay. Remember help is only a click away, their is always someone on here that can get you up and running in no time. Best of luck to you and
Old 05-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
And someone else to fuel your diesel Power Addictions even further
Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM

Thanks everyone glad to be here. And like i said before its just a tow rig for now as just buying it and my camper only a few months ago the funds are very low haha( thanks to just buying a blower for my stang like a month ago). But i will order the insight probably end of week or next week to check the numbers. Also would the truck benefit much from a tb exhaust with the tuner if all checks out ok? And about the head bolts, like what seems to cause most of them to fail? Time? Or too much power? Like if i get just the tuner and exhaust and dont hammer it should i be ok or is it inevitable they will fail soon? Again thanks and i knkw all to well already about play and pay haha as i got a 94GT that im in the process of putting a blower on and also got a zx14 and talk about pay to play nothing cost more then modding a dam bike haha my exhaust for that alone was 900 bucks haha more then my full system on my car. But looking forward to learning alot from all you guys and im very new to diesels and cant wait to tear into it sometime and see how it ticks haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What causes the head bolts to fail is kind of like a series of events if you will. They dont just fail like you may or may not have heard about. Typically, the coolant passages in the oil cooler plug causing the oil to over heat and the cooler to rupture and coolant mixes with oil and you know bad things happen. That is why it is SO important to monitor both engine and oil temps and see the difference between the two. If you see greater than 15F between the two while cruising on flat ground at normal temp, then you have a plugged oil cooler and need to replace it. Alot of guys delete the EGR cooler. In all honesty, get the CTS, monitor everything. If it checks out go from there. You would probably be ok with a tuner. A TB exhaust will be GREAT and wont harm anything.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:12 AM

So what have you all payed for head stud installs? I might just save up and have it done now before it happens and causes more issues or before im towing up a hill and it happens.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 AM

Without a performance tune you do not need/will not see much benefit from a full exhaust. Just run a cat delete, and performance muffler or delete. The stock exhaust is good, and will support well over 400 hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.