Intercooler Delima Banks, ATS, AFE etc. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intercooler Delima Banks, ATS, AFE etc.

I have a blown IC in my truck. I ordered Banks but the technicooler is on back order till 5/12. I was told to look at ATS. Does anyone have this set up on their truck and how do you like it? I tow alot so I want to make a good purchase that will last. Also I found other ones but don't know much about them

ATS
ATS Sub Zero Intercooler System for 03.5-07 Ford 6.0L PS [ATS-203-900-3278] - $1,395.00 : GOS Performance | High Performance Diesel Parts | Bozeman / Livingston, Montana, 800-620-4467

Banks
Banks Power Techni-Cooler Intercooler system (Powerstroke 6.0L)

AFE
AFE BladeRunner Intercooler 46-20101

Mishimoto
Mishimoto Intercooler MMINT-F2D-03

Turbonetics
Turbonetics Torque-Master Intercooler Upgrade 70057

BD
http://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-power...er1042710.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check out the for sale section on this site, a member is selling a stock IC for $150.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is not a bad price but with towing and running high boost when towing I want something reliable and that will last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Check out the for sale section on this site, a member is selling a stock IC for $150.

On the side note, My reasoning behind going with banks is intake manifold thats included.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I got a great deal on my turbonetics intercooler and I really like it. I have talked with guys on other forums about intercoolers and it appears that the turbonetics/ATS (I think they use the same one) intercooler has the thickest core IIRC. I do know for sure that it is thicker than the banks. If you see one in person you'll say man that is beastly for sure.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit6.0 View Post
This is not a bad price but with towing and running high boost when towing I want something reliable and that will last.

On the side note, My reasoning behind going with banks is intake manifold thats included.
I tow and beat the snot out of my truck with high boost (35psi), and still have the original IC with 187k miles.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a spearco(turbonetics) and it's been great for the last 6 years or so. I also have a good stocker.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

would banks piping with the manifold make that much difference? I'm considering going with a different brand but none other brands include manifold I would have to get that separate.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:01 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
MONEYPIT6.0,
Let me make sure I say this clear enough for you. SCREW BANKS!!! DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ANYTHING THEY SELL!!! Now the reason I say this is because I truly dont believe you will get hardly any more performance out of one of their intercoolers than you do with a stock intercooler AND those huge 3.5in tubes w/manifold that they include with their intercooler, YEA ask Adrian (Madpowerstroke) about those. He actually saw a decrease in performance in how fast his truck spooled up and responded when he put his banks intercooler in with those attached. He had to go back to stock pipes with the intercooler and some boots that would allow him to attach the stock pipes to the intercooler in order to get his spooling that he originally had with the stock intercooler back. IMO this also confirms what I was told when I called ATS a few years back about their intercooler and asked them if theirs came with 3.5in tubes and they told me that tubes that size would hinder performance rather than help it because the air slows down so much when it enters those tubes as opposed to the 3in tubes where it is able to maintain its velocity all the way to motor.

Another thing to note when shopping for intercoolers (IMO) is to look at the end caps. This is why I went with the Spearco/Turbonetics Intercooler. It has huge end caps as opposed to Banks, BD, and Mishimoto (I couldnt tell by the pic how the AFE stacked out). The reason the large end caps are important (at least this is what I was told by ATS again) is because it allows the air that enters the intercooler to reach the extremeties (top to bottom) of the intercooler instead of shoving all of the air that comes in from the turbo through the middle 1/2 and leaving about a 1/4 of the intercooler on the top and bottom not really doing anything but taking up space in your vehicle.

So if you are asking me which Intercooler, of the ones mentioned, that I would go with; I would say the Spearco/Turbonetics Intercooler (as that is what I have) or the ATS or the AFE in that order, but I would stay away from BD and Banks for sure. The Mishimoto wouldnt be bad for a stock replacement because of the price but I wouldnt get it for any real gains. JMO and hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.