BPD external oil cooler install Q. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
BPD external oil cooler install Q.

After I rebuilt my engine with studs, gogo stage 1, agressive tune, NEW OIL COOLER, etc, I cannot keep my EOTs in check when towing 18k hard. I threw the wrench light twice on my first hard tow for high EOTs and deltas, in first 100 miles of engine mods, and brand new oil cooler. Done with the BS. When you tow hard and heavy, the stock oil cooler does not cut it. Already ordered BPDs external oil cooler kit. Lucky me, get to tear her down, 300 miles after she just had stud job. anyway.....

For those of you who have done the BPD ext oil cooler kit, newer version, condenser mount, do you really have to break the seal on the AC? I read the instructions, looks like you have to tap into the AC condenser from the backside, but is there enough room to do that without breaking the seal on the AC system and entirely removing the condenser, or is that a must? If so, how do you go about getting the AC system back after that, is it just a recharge at an AC shop? or more complicated? Thanks.

Anybody who has done the install of the 05-07 BPD ext oiler kit, condenser mount, please chime in with how the install went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have all the AC tools to pull off the refrigerant and recharge the system when done so it wasn't a big deal for me but yes the condenser needs to come out. I don't see mounting the BPD cooler with the condenser still in unless maybe it could be done with the fan and radiator removed.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:38 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

I agree, You pretty much have to pull the condensor out. I just had my local mechanic drain the AC then recharge it after I was done. It really didn't cost much and only took a half hour.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:58 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think Dee004 did his with the condenser still in the truck, it's stickied in the General Discussion forum. If I remember correctly it involved removing A LOT more parts. I'd say that removing and recharging would be the easier way to go.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You'll thank yourself for removing the condenser to mount the cooler . Your local auto shop should be able to recharge the system. It cost me like 150 bucks I think

Grannys hubby didn't remove her condenser either, so it can be done
Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah, we removed my condenser when we did mine. It's a simple recharge and it's usually just over $100 to have a shop do it.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:05 AM

thanks for the advice guys. I have read through the instructions, and I am thinking I will build a custom mount and mount the cooler in FRONT of the condenser. With my 08 front end, there is nothing but room and fee space in front of the condenser, and that will allow for MAX cooling, and I can avoid breaking the seal on the AC. With the header panel in there before, there would not have been room to do this, but with all that removed, it will be an easy mount to fab. Any thoughts? Thanks guys.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 AM

evil, we have talked many times about hot weather and heavy towing. You have mentioned you see high EOTs, was that before or after the BPD kit? How much actual drop in EOT did you see with the kit? I can't tow my trailer out of my cul-da-sac without the the EOT climbing above 250 now, so I am hoping this kit helps.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would highly recommend mounting the cooler where it was designed to be mounted. With the oil cooler in front of the condensor it could have a negative affect on ac performance. With the oil cooler between the condensor and intercooler the fan will always pull air across the oil cooler keeping all temp in check.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
thanks for the advice guys. I have read through the instructions, and I am thinking I will build a custom mount and mount the cooler in FRONT of the condenser. With my 08 front end, there is nothing but room and fee space in front of the condenser, and that will allow for MAX cooling, and I can avoid breaking the seal on the AC. With the header panel in there before, there would not have been room to do this, but with all that removed, it will be an easy mount to fab. Any thoughts? Thanks guys.
By putting the oil cooler in front of the AC condensor you could reduce a mount of air traveling through the condensor which would make your AC less effective. Idk what kind of room you have in front of it with the 08 front end, but I would try to move the oil cooler as far forward a spossible to have the least impact on your AC as possible. That's my thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.