New fuel pump. Insight ? Air dog or fass?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New fuel pump. Insight ? Air dog or fass??

Looking Into buying and installing a new fuel pump. Bought the Hellman fuel sump already. Is thier a difference between fass and airdog?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Maybe you should read the threads currently going on about pumps and sumps. Your questions are probably already answered there. For my money, the ADII DF-165 is a better system than the FASS.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:35 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Yes, the name lol. IIRC, the owners/originators of each are related, father-son I think. The two are very similar in design, price, and warranty. There are some differences inthe construction of each, but these are minimal IMO.

There was quite a lot of noise made in the powerstroke community about FASS being garbage (Cummins guys swear by them). And, Everyone said Airdog was the only way to go for a powerstroke, but recently reports have also surfaced about the high pressure Airdog pumps having the same problems. I think that most of these problems have happened a while ago tho, and at this point both companies have rectified the design flaws that led to failures.

I use a FASS low pressure lift pump and have had no problems with it (lift pumps work in conjunction with your stock pump, instead of replacing it and have had almost no failures). I'll probably get some flack for saying it, but I think you could go either way and be just fine, neither one is superior to the other IMO. You have a sump, and that should really help take some stress off the pump.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 AM

I have been reading the other posts just wanna get an idea what the pumps do. So you can use it in conjunction with the hcfm filter/pump? Or just by itself? And also is it a fuel/air separator or is it a water sep. as well. P.s not trying to start anything Mitch just trying to get my info and didn't wanna jump in on someone else's post: )

Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It really depends on how you want to build your fuel system. Do you only wanna run a high pressure system only or do you want a low pressure pump system feeding your stock pump? Or you can run a low pressure pump system feeding a aeromotive A1000 or fuelab pump that sits in the stock pump location. I ran a low pressure FASS system feeding my stock pump for years with no problems. Right now i'm still using the FASS, but it's feeding a fuelab pump. I personally would do a two pump setup...whether it be a low pressure FASS/airdog150 feeding the stock pump or a low pressure FASS/airdog150 feeding a A1000/fuelab pump. The low pressure systems are designed to run with the stock pump....they work awesome like this.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersmoker1429 View Post
I have been reading the other posts just wanna get an idea what the pumps do. So you can use it in conjunction with the hcfm filter/pump? Or just by itself? And also is it a fuel/air separator or is it a water sep. as well. P.s not trying to start anything Mitch just trying to get my info and didn't wanna jump in on someone else's post: )

I wasn't implying anything wrong, just trying to point you to some current discussions with good info. TooMuch is right about the father son thing. Father owns Pure Flow (Airdog) and son owns (FASS). There are different models of pumps. The Airdog is intended to be used in conjunction with your HFCM while the Airdog II is meant as a replacement for the HFCM. FASS has similar setups. They each have a water separator and filter. They both remove entrained air from the fuel as well. I went with the Airdog II DF-165 because I believed my HFCM was getting weak and I wanted to replace it because it is a PITA to change the filter. The DF-165 allowed me to simplify my fuel system by ditching the oem HFCM and the engine mounted filter can/fpr assy. I eventually went on and sumped the tank and replaced everything in the oem fuel system.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM

Airdog II is the way I would go. I agree with the previous poster's statements. The airdog will always provide you with enough fuel to keep your injectors happy and has a good filtration system.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 AM
N.S.D.Q.

I'm running an AD100 with a TSD sump. I have been very happy with my choices for a fuel system setup. +1 for anything on your fuel system that adds filtration, water separation and better pressure.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:55 AM

That's what I see most guys doing. Kinda seems pointless to a airdog to the stock pump especially of the stock
Pump is gonna shat soon. Thinking the airdog 2 way is the way to go with the fuel sump. As per the rating how high of fuel flow do I need. Keeping in mind I wanna fun a high horse setup down the road. Thanks guys

Old 04-26-2012, 05:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by powersmoker1429 View Post
That's what I see most guys doing. Kinda seems pointless to a airdog to the stock pump especially of the stock
Pump is gonna shat soon. Thinking the airdog 2 way is the way to go with the fuel sump. As per the rating how high of fuel flow do I need. Keeping in mind I wanna fun a high horse setup down the road. Thanks guys

but you are actually missing the point. If the Airdog II takes a chit...you up chits creek on the side of the road. The reason for piggy backing a low pressure system(FASS or airdog) is so the factory pump doesn't work so hard. If the low pressure system takes a dump then you at least still have a pump that'll keep you going. Same goes for stock pump...even if that fails you still have the low pressure system. It wont be much, but it's still more than nothing if all you have is a high pressure airdog II and it takes a dump. I wouldn't run an airdog II or even a high pressure FASS even if it was given to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.