Renegade Diesel's 190cc w/100% nozzles Injector Review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Renegade Diesel's 190cc w/100% nozzles Injector Review

So one day I am on line and I have this Private Message (PM) in my inbox from this guy Sheldon, owner/operator of Renegade Diesel; telling me he saw that I was looking for larger injectors and was wondering if I would be interested in getting a set of injectors from him. He said he had been modifying injectors for guys local to him up in Wisconsin for quite a while. Well I have to admit that I was VERY skeptical, and at the risk of the injectors not working (and me being screwed) and the fact that my truck would be out of commission for a longer period of time than if I was just swapping injectors, I worked out a deal to have him ship me a set of his injectors in exchange for mine so I wouldnt have any down time.

(Purpose): Ok well the purpose of this thread isn’t really intended to give anything but my first initial impressions and will be updated as I accrue mileage on my truck and dyno test my truck with not only my current setup but as I progress with larger turbos over the next couple of months. This will help attest not only to the longevity of Sheldon’s Injectors but what kind of power his injectors are capable of producing with various size turbos.

(Impressions): So after I received the PM, I decided to give him a call and talk with him about his injectors and see what kind of person I was dealing with. Let me tell you, this guy seems most knowledgeable about injector building such as what the 6.0’s running characteristics are like based on various sizes and modifications done like plugging spool ports and what have you. We probably spent about 20-30 minutes talking injectors the first time I called him and I felt that was pretty long since I don’t know a whole lot other than what I have read about. Sheldon is also a very humble, laid back, and soft spoken guy and he works full time as a diesel mechanic.
Well I received the injectors but couldn’t install them because I had family in town and I had to get my AD150 w/fuel bowl delete done installed so I could be confident that I would have enough fuel for the 190/100s he sent me. I ended up having some upgrades not go as planned and it ended up taking longer than I expected to get them installed. Once installed, I cranked the truck until it started up, it didn’t take very long to start (about 3 good 10-15 second cranks) and aside from the one cough of smoke, and the truck didn’t even lope and idled just great. This was with Chris’s SPD tune.
I need to take a step back here. I want to point out that I wanted to give Sheldon’s injectors the best opportunity for success that I could, which was why I did the fuel system upgrade and I also went ahead and purchased tunes from Matt @ Gearhead, Eric @ IDP, and Chris @ TSD all tailored for 190cc injectors. This way I can see whose tunes ran the best for me and my setup. The tunes I have are TSD’s: Super Panty Dropper w/Early lock up; IDP’s: Xtreme-X, Xtreme-Street, and street; and Matt’s: SRL+ (full fuel and reduced fuel) and Tow tunes. I think this should be enough options to see how well these injectors run in the truck.

(First Test Drive: ~20 miles) Ok so I started out with the SPD tune, as that was what I was running before the injectors and I wanted to see the increase with the same tune but tailored for the injectors. Well I can tell you that the truck is SO much more of a beast than it was before. I haven’t done any WOT runs but right now these things are perfectly street able and the truck runs very smooth. I use my Edge CTS Accelerator Pedal Position PID to measure how much pedal I am giving my truck to do all of my comparisons and I look at EGTs, boost, and the speedo while I am giving it a certain percentage. So what use to take 23- 25% throttle with the stock injectors, now takes about 16-18% throttle to achieve the same rate of speed change. I did do a 30% throttle run and the extra power was simply AMAZING. I didn’t catch what the EGTs were on the run but the boost made it to 16psi and the speedo was moving fast to 60 mph and there was a light haze.
Cruising on level ground at 65-68mph with the outside temp at 77F, boost was 3-5psi and EGTs were 700-750F (only about 20F higher than my stock injectors were). If the road went uphill, EGTs would start to go up. I think I the highest EGTs I saw were around the 800 mark. Not bad for some 190/100s IMO at all. BTW I know these injectors at least have 100% nozzles on them as they are stamped “100” on them so I presume the bodies are sized for 190cc of fuel. In my opinion the reason for how cool this truck runs right now is due to the awesome tuning of Chris @ TSD. His tune he sent me has progressive fueling with boost/throttle basically at low boost levels it holds the fuel back and doesn’t actually provide full fuel until WOT.

(Day 2: 60 mile round trip for work) So I went out this morning and started the truck up. The outside air temp was 60F and the truck starts up just great. No loping, no rough sounding injectors or sticking spool valves, just a nice smooth idle. I let it idle for about a minute and took off and drove the 30 miles it takes me to get to work. All I can say is that there IS definitely more fuel than before being injected into the cylinder as I only use about 18% throttle (5-7psi of boost, according to my CTS monitor) to accelerate like a car. I have to say that today this tune I am using from Chris @ TSD is really coming through with the progressive fueling. EGTs this morning at 75 mph were 715F on level ground. When I came home this afternoon, I was driving into the wind at 70 mph and boost was 5-6psi on level ground and when I got out of the wind (being blocked by a hill) it dropped to 4psi. The outside temp was 85F and EGTs were about 775F and went up to low 800sF when I went up hill. I have to say that I definitely believe the fuel is there and my stack smokes like a freight train when I get into it.

(Conclusion): Well I definitely have no complaints about Sheldon’s injectors and really can’t say enough good things about how well the truck runs with them in. I really believe that as long as these things hold out for the long haul, I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t want to run his injectors. I can’t mention anything about pricing but believe me it is VERY competitive. He has the ability to flow test his injectors. I don’t know if he charges more or not if a customer wants them flow tested because he takes them to a place to get flowed. The injectors he sent me were not flow tested but I am going to work with him to get my injectors that I send him flow tested as I think it will definitely help boost confidence in a new comer to the injector building market. I think it is also important to note that there were some well-known injector builders who started out building injectors and didn’t provide any flow data but had very satisfied customers.

Well these are my initial impressions and are everything I can think of. I will be updating this thread as I try my other tunes and as I drive the truck with his injectors so I can speak to the longevity of their performance. I will also update this thread with dyno results in this current configuration and as I start testing larger turbos. I should note here that I am sending my injectors to him for modification into 190/100s and then when I receive them back I will swap them out and send his back to him. In my opinion, this will help demonstrate the consistency in quality control of his modification process. I am also planning to upgrade my turbo to a modified Dmax Stage 2 (Garrett 4094VA) turbo and take the truck with Adrian (Madpowerstroke) to Bill @ PHP to see what kind of horse power we can lay down on his dyno. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. If anyone has any doubt about Sheldon’s level of knowledge, I recommend giving him a call and spend 5 minutes talking with him and asking questions that you think an injector builder should know and decide for yourself if you think he knows what he is doing.

Last edited by windrunner408; 04-25-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wow, long read!! Members are gonna want to know about price?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
I know I read the whole thing I wanna see some videos.... Who doesn't love videos

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

You got it guys. I will try and get a video tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Good write up Nate. We can always use another reliable injector builder for the 6.0. I look forward to seeing the long term results on these guys.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 PM
back to business

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just tagging this so I can follow along.

Please post in here periodically to let us know how they are doing and if you have any isses with them.

A vid would be great and (I'll be the guy that asks) what was price
Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nate--------Do you know where in wisconsin Sheldon is out of???
Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhner5 View Post
Nate--------Do you know where in wisconsin Sheldon is out of???
I second this! I always want to support a local guy

Edit: I facebook stalked them. It says Humbird, WI which looks to be north of Black River Falls

Last edited by TooMuch03; 04-26-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:53 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Excellent write up Nate! Sounds like you've got some big plans for your truck! I can't wait to see what that guy puts down with 190s and the Big Boy!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:55 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Adam is right. He is out of Humbird, WI. Where ever that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.