MAD's DuraStroke -The Holy Grail of VGT Turbo's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
MAD's DuraStroke -The Holy Grail of VGT Turbo's

**UPDATE: ANY questions regarding release date and pricing, please PM Adrian (MADpowerstroke)**

I want to start off by saying that Adrian (MADpowerstroke) is an EXCELLENT guy to deal with who knows his stuff 100% and I would not hesitate to test another one of his turbos in the future. With that being said, this review has nothing to do with personal, this is all business and a review based SOLELY on the performance of the DuraStroke compared to the Stock turbo.

My truck is an '04 6.0L: stock injectors / stock fuel system / spartan tuned / 58v FICM / factory air box / coolant filter / oil bypass / 35s.

I have not been able to get comparable dyno numbers due to some issues Saturday but I will be going to PHP where the truck was originally dynoed to the get best comparative numbers. During the install - I have to say that everything fit like a glove when I put the DuraStroke in the stock location. It was a complete, 100% drop-in turbo that needed no modifications to the pedestal or anything. The downpipe and inlet pipe went on easily along with all bolts. As soon as I turned the key the truck FIRED TO LIFE! A couple chugs to get the air out and off we went! You can feel a "seat of the pants" difference immediately! The turbo has a nice whistle to it on the intake side and the exhaust sounds a little more "throaty". The spool-up is instant and I have not been able to find or any make a dead spot with this thing...and trust me...I've tried! I can go 50mph up a hill and lean into the throttle(trying to make lag w/ the converter locked) but the turbo wakes up *snap* just like that!

Cruising 70mph down I-20 level terrain/hills: Stock - 6-8psi DuraStroke 4-6psi. The truck feels lighter and takes MUCH less effort than the stocker. I have to constantly watch the speedo bc I can get up to 80mph and not even notice it b/c the turbo is not working as hard. My EGTs have dropped an estimated 50*-100* while cruising. At WOT, the boost hits 30psi and stays between 28-30psi as long as you hold that skinny pedal down! and the EGTs are in check through the whole powerband (max 1150*) The smoke clears instantly with only a slight haze @ WOT.

I had an unexpected chance to tow Saturday night when a buddy of mine broke down. Lincoln Mark VIII on the trailer and turbo made it seem like nothing was there. Boost was around 4-5 psi less to pull the same effort. While the torque converter the turbo spooled nice w/ no turbo lag and I know the mpg's will be higher....once I can stay off the damn pedal! :

OVERALL: THIS IS THE TURBO FOR ANYBODY WHO HAS A 6.0L! EVEN IF YOU NEVER PLAN ON UPGRADING INJECTORS, THIS WILL BE OUTPERFORM YOUR STOCK TURBO ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!

This turbo (IMO) would be best suited for stock sticks or 155s but still allowing PLENTY of POWER, RELIABILITY, and LOW-END PULL. Adrian has built what seems to me as the Holy Grail of VGT Turbo's....this is THE TURBO Ford should have put on the trucks factory. I cannot wait till the BigBoy & King Kong are built because I believe he(Adrian) is going to be changing the whole outlook on performance turbos for our 6.0L's. Dodge's watch out!!!

I will keep everybody posted on the numbers as soon as I can get to Bill. I will also be putting on the Atlas 80 tune to see the difference with that! If anybody has any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!!

PICS ADDED:
DURASTROKE:

DURASTROKE ON LEFT............STOCK ON RIGHT

STOCK:

DURASTROKE:

VIDEO:

Last edited by Bubba88; 04-26-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did you go with the LLY or the LBZ turbo?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

the LBZ with stock wheel. Honestly, I don't believe there even is a need for the batmowheel on these IMO. The spool-up is so quick and it keeps flowing without ever letting off.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Now that I can get excited about

What years are the LBZ's
Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 AM

This is fantastic news! I'm watching and reading as I need a new turbo now. I haul heavy 14k+ regularly so spooling and drive ability is a must.

Wekiwa
Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 AM

We need some videos of these turbos I have seen 2 or 3 in cab 0-100 but none of idle sound or rev would be Awsome

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

^^ Yeah....I haven't been able to get this smile off my face since I put it in last week!

I will stand behind Adrian and his DuraStroke 100%
Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch250 View Post
We need some videos of these turbos I have seen 2 or 3 in cab 0-100 but none of idle sound or rev would be Awsome

I will get some this afternoon for everybody.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wekiwa View Post
This is fantastic news! I'm watching and reading as I need a new turbo now. I haul heavy 14k+ regularly so spooling and drive ability is a must.

Wekiwa
I've got to go deliver some logger tires and attachments for a customer and the total should be around 12K-13K so I'll let you know how she does!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 AM

Is he advertising these any were it by word of mouth on like the prices or anything I know there's a lot of ppl that have seen these threads and wondering on price and turnaround and what not

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.