LLY DuraStroke Turbo from MadPowestroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Cool LLY DuraStroke Turbo from MadPowestroke

VIDEOS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST! Check it out!

Firstly... I wasn't planning on writing this review yet because it's going on 1 in the morning and I'm tired. However, I'm so impressed with this turbo - that I wanted to write down a few things before I forgot any major details, and partly because I'm filled with such joy and ecstasy that I feel indebted to Adrian and his creation.

This is the turbo: the 64mm (63.5mm same as Powermax) LLY DuraStroke w/ Batmowheel - with the mad scientist himself installing it personally in my truck.

The Review: (short and sweet for right now)
My first impression of this turbo was that it sounded fairly close to stock. No crazy whistle or anything like that. However, when you're in the early-to-mid range of building boost, you get this insane whistle/sucking sound coming from your intake. It sounds amazing and I found out from a friend (whom I just dropped off at his house no more than 30 minutes ago) that it sounds incredible from outside the cab, when it's driving off.

My first test drive of the turbo wasn't at all what I expected. This is going to sound weird... but just hear me out. The truck felt slower. I didn't feel that amazing torque/suction feeling in the seat that I was used to on the stocker and Matt's SRL+ tune. The truck just seemed to gradually accelerate and never really threw me back. I looked at EGTs and they were in the 900*~ish area and boost was about 24-28 psi range as I laid off the throttle from a "decent" run. I thought to myself, "what the hell? I thought this thing was supposed to give me more 'oomph' than that..."

That's when I looked at another gauge of mine....

The speedometer. Like I said, those numbers (EGT and PSI) were "what was left" of me giving it a quick and somewhat short 'dash' on the throttle. The speedo was coming back off of 100mph. I literally said "Holy Chit! I had no clue I was going that fast!" The turbo is so smooth that you don't really feel the boost "thrust" you into your seat - at least not immediately after you install it. After the install and driving it around for a little bit, the truck has started to change it's strategy and learn with the new hardware. I did a few more runs with it, enough to confirm that a WOT sprint to 70mph happens VERY quickly, and results in more than a 300* drop in EGTs compared to the stock setup. (1600 vs 1300)

EGTs on the interstate back from Hunter's Performance tonight were around the mid to high 600s going about 75-80, and hovered around 7-8psi. I thought that was pretty good and about normal... then I realized that my A/C was on. "Hmmm... I wonder what would happen if I turned that off." - Hit the off switch. EGTs dropped to high 500s and PSI went to 5.

I will post much more about this turbo tomorrow (later today) - I just wanted to get a thread out there now. I owe it to Adrian and to anyone else interested in these turbos. I can't describe it. And believe me, there's plenty more info that I need to/want to share with everyone. I'll write more after a good night's sleep.

Video: Truck at Idle
Video: Truck doing some quick revs and 15-20mph take off (not WOT)

EDIT: 13 May 2012
Dyno'ed the truck yesterday, it made 473rwhp. Now, Bill at PHP says that I had two things not going for me on the dyno/test day.

Number One: It was mid 70s and humid, when I dynoed in Feb (made 454rwhp/980lbs/tq) it was below 30* - so my numbers will automatically be 15-20* lower.
Number Two: My truck was suffering from something called "Heat Soak" - which basically means I never let my truck cool off from doing dyno run after dyno run. If I would have let my truck cool down, I could've picked up an extra 5-8rwhp.

So putting those numbers together, that gets me pretty damn close to 500rwhp in ideal conditions to dyno. How about them apples???

Last edited by Super Diesel; 05-13-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Real Men of Genius

I also want to give a huge THANK YOU to Adrian for installing the turbo on my truck. You guys that have been fortunate enough to meet him know that he's a super humble, laid back, well rounded guy. It was an absolute pleasure getting to meet you and the wife. I look forward to more events with you and our local team (and also to anyone else who's interested in showing up).
Old 04-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks,not a problem,glad the turbo is living up to expections.I would also like to thank all the members I met of the GDPA,and for the invite I had a great time.Wish I could have had my truck there,but now I'm being forced to get the 4094va modded and on the truck.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:27 AM
Real Men of Genius

Thanks Adrian, the turbo is most definitely living up to it's expectations.

I know that everyone reading these reviews is thinking either "Yeah right" or "Jesus, is it really true?" Well folks, it is. These turbos that the mad doctor is building are living up to all of the hype. We've got 3 GPDA members running Adrian's turbo now. And they're all performing the exact same, except Matt's - he's running the 4088 and it's a whole 'nother animal.

My truck has Matt's SRL+ tune and Bill's FICM tune (I'm going back to PHP to get the Hercules 100 tune later) and believe me, it smoked more than I would have liked it to. This turbo cleaned ALL of that smoke up. The throttle response is just as good IF NOT BETTER than stock. PSI builds much faster and smoother. The transition of power flows so good, that you will lose track of how fast you're accelerating. Honestly, the truck feels lighter on it's feet.

After driving around for a little while, the truck got used to the new hardware and started to really change. The truck now pulls hard. Very hard. Hard enough for me to completely get my truck sideways on a 'gradual' turn. I've never been able to do that before. Well... I'll be honest, I've never tried to do that before - but I did it with Adrian's turbo without even trying. Like I said, the turbo builds PSI fast and lites almost immediately.

Sure, if you romp it from a dead stop - you're going to see a puff of black smoke, because the turbo hasn't even had a chance to flow any air. But a puff of smoke is all you will get (if you're running 155s or stock sticks). The turbo needs no custom tuning from what we've seen in any of the tunes so far. Matt (MWilbur516) will be the real guinea pig for that, considering he's got tunes from just about everyone.

This turbo is literally, a drop in turbo. This is without a doubt, the turbo that SHOULD have been in our trucks from the factory.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:39 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I LOVE IT. Great to hear all the responses here from Super Diesel and Matt about Adrian's turbos. It is great to hear reviews of others' impressions that back up and reenforce the things you (speaking about myself) put out. Hopefully, I will be coming over with Adrian next time he does so we can get some dyoning/live tuning with Bill to see what his real monsters in the closet can put down with the right amount of fueling.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:49 AM
Real Men of Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
I LOVE IT. Great to hear all the responses here from Super Diesel and Matt about Adrian's turbos. It is great to hear reviews of others' impressions that back up and reenforce the things you (speaking about myself) put out. Hopefully, I will be coming over with Adrian next time he does so we can get some dyoning/live tuning with Bill to see what his real monsters in the closet can put down with the right amount of fueling.
Oh yeah, it's just amazing. I'm not a turbo whiz, like most guys on here are (or claim to be) but this is absolutely incredible to me. For the truck to respond so much faster, and feel nimble. I don't get it. Why... why has this not been done before? I mean, it's obvious that the Powermax is a decent turbo, but everyone needs custom tuning with the thing to remove any/and all "dead spots". These DuraStroke turbos require NONE of that.

Hopefully I'll get some more information to include about it as the week progresses. I need to play with it some more. I also need to get with my GPDA team and figure out when we're all convoying over to Bill's at PHP. We need to throw down some numbers. Since Hunter's Performance was having issues with their dyno.

Man, I love this kind of research. Nate, we'll keep you in the loop too on when we're planning a PHP pow wow. We'd love to have you and Adrian come by.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
Let me know when you guys go down to bills to test it I wanna come down and check it out
Old 04-22-2012, 06:03 AM
Real Men of Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdown89 View Post
Let me know when you guys go down to bills to test it I wanna come down and check it out
You got it bud!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Hey Chris, how much did that turbo run? And how much did he charge you to install it? I don't think he's too far from me.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subscribed... Man I got to get one of these if its as good as you all our claiming it to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.