The MadPowerstroke 4088 turbo reveiw - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The MadPowerstroke 4088 turbo reveiw

Well we slapped Mad's modified 4088 on my truck at Hunter's today. All I can say is, HOLY SH*T! This turbo is unbelievably smooth and pulls like somebody shoved a freight train under the hood. No surging at all. My EGT's have dropped by a minimum 250-300* at WOT and this thing builds boost instantly. The truck feels several thousand pounds lighter. Overall the turbo runs perfectly and I don't think anyone could ask for more with a completely drop-in turbo.

The best part is that NOTHING was changed in my tuning. No dead spots, no lag, spools as quickly if not a bit quicker than stock and completely cleans up the smoke even with the Atlas 80 FICM tune and a modified version of the Super Panty Dropper from Chris at TSD.

When you apply throttle, the boost comes on extremely fast and smooth. At WOT the truck holds 30psi (stock boost gauge) whereas the stock turbo would fall off to around 24 psi. I know the stock boost sensor only reads up to 30 psi so I believe I'm making more than 30psi.

So far I'm extremely impressed with this turbo. The truck feels much lighter, it runs and responds much smoother. The acceleration is amazing. I'll be taking my truck to Bill at PHP for some dyno pulls soon and I'll keep everyone updated on how this beast continues to perform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's awesome to hear man. So you put the durastroke, with the 4088 front and 3788 rear, on your truck with stock injectors?? I could only imagine what it would be like with some larger sticks.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

I posted in the other thread before I saw this thread. Glad to hear folks are liking the turbo so far. I hope it lays down some nice power. I know my LBZ durastroke responds just like you are describing. I think 175s would be perfect with 4088/3788 durastroke. You could probably even squeak by with 190s if you wanted them.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Adrian has my turbo and is modding it to a DuraStroke as we speak. I can't wait to get that back on my truck. My only fear is that the 4088 is gonna be hard to beat.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Subscribed
Old 04-21-2012, 07:12 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWilbur516 View Post
Adrian has my turbo and is modding it to a DuraStroke as we speak. I can't wait to get that back on my truck. My only fear is that the 4088 is gonna be hard to beat.
Yea if the 4088 is as good as you say it is for your truck, I would have Adrian modify your turbo into one of those instead. With the 4088 yes you will have the same size turbine as the LBZ but the inducer on the 4088 is 2mm bigger. Since the exducer is the same on both turbos, would be my guess as to why it is as responsive as it is.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Waiting to see the numbers.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Waiting to see the numbers.
You and me both.

I know that no one really cares about the "seat of the pants feel", but it has a buttload more power. I want to dyno this 4088 as well as the regular DuraStroke turbo. The dyno at Hunter's didn't have a load cell and they were having a lot of trouble with the Ford trucks today. They didn't have the correct software to force the truck to stay in one gear with the convertor locked for the entire pull so the torque would spike and the rwhp numbers were stupid low. We had a guy that has consistently made 450+ on other dyno's making only 380rwhp on the dyno today. You need a load cell to dyno a diesel (if you want accurate numbers) and you have to have the ability to keep in one gear. With all this going on, I chose not to put my truck on the dyno today, but rather wait and put my truck on the PHP dyno with Bill at the helm. He has all the correct software and knowledge to give very accurate rwhp numbers. I feel that Adrian, as well as all his potential customers, deserves to have good, hard data on his product and thats what they will get when I hand Bill at PHP the keys and let him work.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Here's a couple pics I tried when I got home. I know they aren't great and I'll try for a couple more tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
The MadPowerstroke 4088 turbo reveiw-photo-2-.jpg   The MadPowerstroke 4088 turbo reveiw-photo.jpg  
Old 04-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What's he charging to mod these ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.