SCT comes today...but I need advice! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question SCT comes today...but I need advice!

Hey Powerstroke heads!!

My SCT XCal3 comes in today from DJ and I'm totally stoked about it! I have a quick question though. I know that the programmer will come with 3 tunes from the factory (econ., tow, street) and that you can hold 3 more custom tunes. Here is my question:

I ordered my new exhaust system (Bully Dog turbo-back system with a 5" tip) and it will be arriving tomorrow (27th) morning. I also ordered gauges and a pod from DJ, but those won't be arriving until next week. I will be installing the exhaust with a buddy of mine tomorrow night and setting up the programmer as well. My question is: If I only run the economy tune from SCT (with my exhaust installed) will I be safe until the gauges arrive next week?

I don't plan on doing any dragging or anything, but I will be leaving for Miami on Friday morning and will be freeway driving for the majority of the trip and I would like to make sure that I won't have problems. Please let me know as everyone on here seems to have a wealth of information! Thanks in advance and have a great day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 05:32 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveSoccrMoms15 View Post
Hey Powerstroke heads!!

My SCT XCal3 comes in today from DJ and I'm totally stoked about it! I have a quick question though. I know that the programmer will come with 3 tunes from the factory (econ., tow, street) and that you can hold 3 more custom tunes. Here is my question:

I ordered my new exhaust system (Bully Dog turbo-back system with a 5" tip) and it will be arriving tomorrow (27th) morning. I also ordered gauges and a pod from DJ, but those won't be arriving until next week. I will be installing the exhaust with a buddy of mine tomorrow night and setting up the programmer as well. My question is: If I only run the economy tune from SCT (with my exhaust installed) will I be safe until the gauges arrive next week?

I don't plan on doing any dragging or anything, but I will be leaving for Miami on Friday morning and will be freeway driving for the majority of the trip and I would like to make sure that I won't have problems. Please let me know as everyone on here seems to have a wealth of information! Thanks in advance and have a great day

Wow! Wish I had the guts to do all that to my truck. I can't answer your question but am anxious to hear how things go once you are up and running!! Nice looking SD and now its gonna howl! Next thing youll be doin is gently tap your cat on a rock to dislodge any built up crud so it will flow freeer........
Old 09-26-2007, 05:39 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
yes.you will be just fine..there are alot of people that run race files that dont even have gauges..not condoning or promoting that..but you will be A OK. Congrats on all the new parts..you will love the SCT.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:57 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah, what Adam said... Make sure you get the gauges installed soon, tho so you can see what's going on. Even the economy tune can spike your EGTs pretty good on the hills if you're laying into it.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Yeah you'll be fine just don't STAND in it for a long period of time. A short butt kicking on someone from a stop light will be fine.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Wow! Wish I had the guts to do all that to my truck. I can't answer your question but am anxious to hear how things go once you are up and running!! Nice looking SD and now its gonna howl! Next thing youll be doin is gently tap your cat on a rock to dislodge any built up crud so it will flow freeer........
How'd you know what I was going to do next?!?! I'll definitely let you now how it turns out!

Edit: Thanks Abrannan, Rod, and Evil Eye for the help! I don't think I'll run the Street or any custom tune until I get the gauges. But I hear that the Economy will add a little bit of power and, when combined with exhaust, will improve my gas mileage! So I'm hoping to see if it's true going to Miami this weekend.

Last edited by iLoveSoccrMoms15; 09-26-2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=iLoveSoccrMoms15;272067]How'd you know what I was going to do next?!?! I'll definitely let you now how it turns out!

Well, when I was jawin with an old friend, almost 90 and still workin as an electrician, bout trucks he brought up cats. He said one day he was tired of how sluggish his SD was so he took the cat off to see if it was blocked, didn't see anything, so he decided to tap it against a rock to see if something wasn't up there he didn't see and a bunch of crud came out. After that he said he could see through just fine so put it back and and, end of problem, SD was peppy again. I just thought you may have the same problem and thats why you wuz doin all them mods!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=bfloyd4445;272335]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveSoccrMoms15 View Post
How'd you know what I was going to do next?!?! I'll definitely let you now how it turns out!

Well, when I was jawin with an old friend, almost 90 and still workin as an electrician, bout trucks he brought up cats. He said one day he was tired of how sluggish his SD was so he took the cat off to see if it was blocked, didn't see anything, so he decided to tap it against a rock to see if something wasn't up there he didn't see and a bunch of crud came out. After that he said he could see through just fine so put it back and and, end of problem, SD was peppy again. I just thought you may have the same problem and thats why you wuz doin all them mods!
Man, glad he got it cleared up! I don't really have a problem with it only because the truck has 4000 miles on it, but I will definitely keep it in mind in the event that I notice something like that. i'm just doing the mod work because it's fun and I'm a guy
Old 09-26-2007, 05:12 PM

man, i seen the Xcal 3 @ DPP site, that is very slick!!!

but still want the livewire!!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strőkër~X View Post
man, i seen the Xcal 3 @ DPP site, that is very slick!!!

but still want the livewire!!!!
I hear alot about that livewire! Maybe later on down the road (assuming I catch the itch to go nuts) I'll grab one and crack up the power!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.