BPD oil cooler ?????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BPD oil cooler ??????

So, normally it doesn't take much to convince me to spend money, especially since I don't have a wife or kids to rely on me thus making me think about what and how I spend it. I've been eyeing the BPD oil cooler kit but am really having a hard time convincing myself that the $2,200 for the kit (the cold weather one since I live in AK) is necessary.

If I have a filtered coolant system, an Amsoil bypass filter setup with a 2 micron filter, an EGR delete with a brand new oil cooler and updated stainless mesh screen, all of which is cheaper than the BPD kit, why would I need that?

I'm not implying by any means, that the BPD kit isn't "worth it", I'm just curious because their website shows this as their features:

Features:
*No more clogged engine oil coolers due to casting sand and debris in your coolant!
*Prevents the engine oil cooler from rupturing and filling your cooling system with engine oil.
*Bullet Proofs the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) filter screen preventing a possible HPOP failure.
*Maximizes coolant flow to the EGR cooler to prevent it from overheating.
*Allows engine oil to warm up to a minimum oil temperature of 180F.
*Stops early injector failure due to overheated and poorly filtered oil.
*Stops early engine wear due to overheated and poorly filtered oil.
*Stops early turbo failure due to overheated and poorly filtered oil.
*Prevents coolant reservoir (degas) venting coolant due to flash boiling of the coolant in the EGR cooler.
*Halts EGR cooler rupture failure.
*Prevents immediate or delayed catastrophic loss of oil pressure due to a faulty oil filter housing drain valve.
*The best part? An engineered solution that allows you to fix your engine oil cooler right!

So, with all that info, I have most of it covered by the items I specified above . What's everyone's take on this? I'm not criticizing, I'm inquiring. help me out peeps!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Doing the things you have done is reasonable due diligence BUT it is not bulletproof. A bypass coolant filter will not necessarily save you from a clogged oil cooler. It is a good safety measure but no guarantee. An EGR delete does not guarantee that you won't end up with a clogged oil cooler. The oil cooler is the only place in the system where the oil and coolant flow next to each other and a failure results in cross contamination of both cooling and oiling systems which is a real pain to clean up and expensive to do correctly.

A BPD remote oil cooler removes the oiling system from the cooling system so cross contamination from a failure is impossible. It adds capacity to the oil system. It adds improved oil filtration to the system. It is a completely engineers system made with the highest quality parts and workmanship that completely eliminates the oil cooler issue from the 6.0. I don't know anyone who has done this that wasn't extremely impressed by the quality of the kit or were disappointed with the value of what they received for their money. Those who have tried to build their own systems have pretty much acknowledged that if they were to do it again they would buy the BPD kit. It is the only kit of its kind on the market worth spending your money on.

I doubt you will find anybody that has a BPD system that says they really wish they wouldn't have bought it.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^^^ What he said, i plan on it someday. Sure its alot of money, but then i NEVER have to worry about oil cooler failure again.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:16 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Exactly what he said. Everyone wants to scoff at the price but there truely is nothing like it. The oil transfer block is a work of machining art IMO it looks that good. I tried making my own system and have done it successfully but I ended up paying more for my kit than if I would have just bought the BPD kit to begin with.

If I were you, I would just wait until your current cooler looks like it is starting to clog (watch EOT and ECT delta to see) before you go drop the coin on the BPD kit. Nevertheless, it IS the only thing that will bulletproof the oil cooler on the engine.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well that was exactly the type of info I was looking for. With that being said, I'm planning on doing my head studs in early May and was planning on putting a new cooler in along with my Sinister filter for the coolant that's currently occupied space on my counter. I just don't wanna be in there twice and was figuring if I could kill two birds with one stone, then why not? Sounds like it might be worth it in the end. I may just have to choke up the $2,200 and go for it. I've heard mixed reviews about the location of the oil filter for that kit. Any thoughts on that?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:37 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

I like the spin on filter better than that lame cartridge filter but I hate having anything with the potential to rust all up being exposed to the weather, which is what I feel is the case when you put the spin on filter behind the bumper. Nevertheless though, I would really worry about it too much. I would put it all on and paint it to keep everything from rusting and then you should be good to go.

I also had the sinister coolant filter ready to install but then I was like why am I installing a filter for something that wont need it? I would just sell it or return it if you can and you decide to go this route because if the EGR is deleted and the oil cooler is deleted then their isnt anything that is that small that can clog so you can just let the coolant flow. JMO.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

I considered keeping the coolant filter just simply to filter out the nasty stuff in the system, like fine particles of that you always see, not for fear of blowing up a cooler that isn't there, but for the sake of having a clean coolant system. After all, I have it and it's paid for. lol

So where do the coolant hoses get routed that were originally attached or associated with the oil cooler, or are they just merely part of the EGR delete and that's it? I mean, if the cooler blowing up causes oil coolant cross contamination, once could speculate there is coolant in there, but if the BPD system doesn't have the coolant running through it, where did those lines go? I read the install instructions and didn't see anything regarding that and that's what threw me off.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:17 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Yes as far as I know the BPD oil transfer block does not have any coolant running through it. It has a connection to hook it to the EGR system/delete to keep coolant from running out everywhere but I dont think it actually goes anywhere other than from the water pump to the EGR cooler/delete pipe and then to the degas bottle. There is nothing on the BPD kit that can rupture and have cross contamination with coolant. Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadcoastie View Post
Well that was exactly the type of info I was looking for. With that being said, I'm planning on doing my head studs in early May and was planning on putting a new cooler in along with my Sinister filter for the coolant that's currently occupied space on my counter. I just don't wanna be in there twice and was figuring if I could kill two birds with one stone, then why not? Sounds like it might be worth it in the end. I may just have to choke up the $2,200 and go for it. I've heard mixed reviews about the location of the oil filter for that kit. Any thoughts on that?
I've heard only one person complain about the location of the filter (for front end collision reasons), but I don't have any issue with it. I do like the spin on too, either way, OE or BPD, it's still an easy oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadcoastie View Post
I considered keeping the coolant filter just simply to filter out the nasty stuff in the system, like fine particles of that you always see, not for fear of blowing up a cooler that isn't there, but for the sake of having a clean coolant system. After all, I have it and it's paid for. lol

So where do the coolant hoses get routed that were originally attached or associated with the oil cooler, or are they just merely part of the EGR delete and that's it? I mean, if the cooler blowing up causes oil coolant cross contamination, once could speculate there is coolant in there, but if the BPD system doesn't have the coolant running through it, where did those lines go? I read the install instructions and didn't see anything regarding that and that's what threw me off.
The coolant passes through the transfer block to the EGR cooler, but doesn't have any cooling affect on the oil

After you order the kit and open that big box to see the quality and engineering that went in to the parts, you will be proud to say you have a Bulletprof truck, I promise
Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have the BPD oil cooler as well, and to me the peace of mind knowing that I NEVER have to worry about a catastophic oil cooler failure is totally worth the $2k. I was originally skeptical about the spin on filter behind the bumper, but I have found that it does not collect dirt and mud as one would think, and it is very easy to change out and has something like twice the filtering capacity of the stock filter. I also like how it frees up some space in the engine bay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.