Considering a 4" exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering a 4" exhaust

Hello to all, I have been considering going to a 4" exhaust. I pull a couple of good size trailers, 25' beavertail gooseneck and a 35' 5th wheel, occasionally. I'm not looking for more sound just the other benefits that go with a 4" exhaust.

PTP has the MBRP S6206AL for $327.24, 15% off, shipped free with a 5" tip. I'm trying to keep whats left of my hearing, too much loud music, guns and equipment for 60 years, is the reason for this kit.

Anyone know of a better deal than that for a 4" turbo back exhaust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

On Monday I ordered an MBRP 4" Turbo back (S6212PLM) for $251.11 and free shipping from XDP using code: diesel10. Tracking shows delivery for April 4th.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I got my MBRP 4 inch turbo back from thorobred diesel for 243 shipped
Old 03-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

A LOT of guys wish they had gone 5" instead of 4". Food for thought there.

Things that have been said about 4": more turbo whistle, louder in a high pitch kind of way.

Things that have been said about 5": more engine "rumble" instead of turbo whistle, turbo whistle is still audible though, lower pitched, possible feeling that you lose low end (reality is you don't).

When I get a 5er or a goose I will have to get rid of my duals. I plan on going with the 5".
Old 03-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Most 5" exhausts are 4" for 1/3 to 1/2 of the system anyway. From inside the cab you will more than likely not notice a difference and from outside it isn't much of a difference. I came to this conclusion last week when I ran across a chick with 4" straight exhaust on an 04'. I work with a guy that has 5" straight exhaust on an 05' and after hearing both I couldn't justify the extra $75-$100 for the 5" system. A penny saved is a penny spent on more mods since I want studs, EGR delete (capable of passing visual), Banks or AFE Intercooler, PMax w/Batmowheel, SCT X3, GoGo Intake..., and the list goes on and on. It all comes down to personal preference. Just my
Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

Won't the GoGo intake kinda give away the fact that the EGR cooler is deleted NSublet...?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

@ dieselmatt: The GoGo Intake can be modified so my EGR system will bolt on but not function. It will be like welding a hollowed cat over the delete pipe. All I need is to pass visual inspection and a 60% opacity test. The smog guy I use doesn't want to be tied to a truck that can't pass visual in case the gestapo were to look.

@ jerdebson: I'm sorry about hyjacking your thread, it's all yours again. Did you figure out the exhaust your getting?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 PM

The exhaust I am looking at uses the stock cat and has a free flow muffler. I'm not looking for more sound but maybe a little more MPG and a little less heat when pulling a trailer. I am still "researching" the matter. Thanks for your thoughts. That series has a three year warranty also. The reason I am looking at a turbo back system is to go from 3.25" down pipe to a 3.5" with a smooth bend. Everyone has their own ideas but I wanted to bounce mine off of some of you with experience in the matter. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.