HEAD STUDS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HEAD STUDS

Need some opinions on ARP head studs. I have an 05 F350 with the 6 liter. The truck has 177,000 miles on it and has been well maintained since day one. The only modifications done are a silverline turbo-back exhaust and a k&n air intake. Never had an problems with the truck except the FICM was replaced and the egr valve, which I wish I just had deleted. I was looking at the ARP head studs to extend the life of the engine. I'm looking for some opinions on whether it would be a good idea or just leave the truck alone. I don't wanna replace the head gaskets and open it, if to this point knock on wood have been no problems. Also, what other modifications would anyone suggest if not going with the head studs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Considering you aren't running any tuning your hg's could be just fine.

If you're looking to spend some money I would recommend a coolant filter, and php's ficm evo programmer. On top of helping the ficm perform better the evo also displays things like eot, ect, ficmVolts, among other things.

I would go with php's ficm evo before an edge cts because you're able to monitor important engine vitals AND you get better performance and mileage. Just me.

Sent from my DroidX using Autoguide
Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I agree

Why mess with something if its not broken? your head gaskets might go on forever, nobody knows!

Coolant filter, and DELETE the EGR cooler... because if you don't and it starts leaking coolant into the cylinders you will end up doing HG..

Get a good monitoring solution to watch coolant and oil temps, fuel pressure, and FICM voltage
Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think after all these year I'm going to order a programmer. I really like the Edge programmers which one do you think would do the job just to monitor and get better fuel mileage truck does more short trips now than before. The evolution programmer looks real basic. But, the CS model is more appealing any luck with these.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Watch the coolant. Keep a good eye on that. That will tell you when you need to do head gaskets or an egr cooler.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

ONLY get an SCT tuner w/ custom tunes

its the safest for your truck.

Edge is only good for gauges/monitoring
Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

I don't care what programmer you have, any programmer once you up the power will make it more likely to blow the hg's but it's a risk you take. Sct tunes with a reputable tuner will be your best bet though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.