Experienced input needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Experienced input needed

OK, so no secret I'm new to the diesel world(hints the name). This is my first diesel and after weeks of reading through threads and threads of information I've deccided to just ask and see what I get.

Im wanting a breakdown of sorts on what mods, ranging from most important to least (or that can wait a bit) that I need to start purchasing. What I have is a 2006 6.0l with 74,000 4" MBRP turbo back and SCT live wire with just the canned tunes. The live wire monitors EGT, EOT, Coolant temp, Boost, and trans temp.

Looking for reliability and of course power, which I assume will come from the custom tunes.

Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would strongly suggest an EGR delete if your truck doesn't already have one. And do the blue spring upgrade to make sure your fuel pressure isn't dropping and you keep your injectors happy. Flush the coolant system and swap over to CAT ELC coolant while your doing the EGR delete also. Then custom tunes to keep your CEL from coming on and you'll get a good bit more power over the canned tunes. All these are cheap to do and I think you'll enjoy the extra power and reliability.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

Well relatively cheap, I will throw in the upgraded stc fitting when you do the EGR delete, and a coolant filter ASAP, I actually have a spare one, it is a PMM coolant filter kit. PM me.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Although some mods are important, Maintenance is key. Change both fuel filters, trans filter, Oil unless you know whats in it. Coolant, Good diesel fuel with a additive, Lots of opinions on here, research and pick what you like.
EGR, fuel spring, and the other update items from Ford, do them as your wallet allows. Watch your gauges.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Serving Our Country!

^^^^^^ I second that. He is absolutely right, maintenance, i still have yet to do my fuel filters or tranny filters, i also want to do full synthetic gear oil to help with the cold running.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:40 PM

I did the fluids when I first got the truck. The STC fitting was done, not by choice, wouldnt start. I went out for a drive today since I updated my live wire and have EOT temp on it. The oil and coolant temps stayed rite with each other which if Im not mistaken is what I want. Still need to instal the EGT sensor and a fuel pressure gauge.

I REALLY appreciate the input!!!!

The EGR delete, from the looks of you tube videos, is somthing Im not gonna do myslef. It is next on the list along with blue spring upgrade. Thanks guys
Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM

Also when I first start the truck I let it warm up for 5 mins or so. Then when I get out on the road and get into it the truck feels like its hitting the rev limiter but I dont believe its that, it kinda cuts out a little. After it warms up more it doesnt do it. Normal?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

sounds like something i was dealing with .if u get some rev x and add it to the motor oil it will solve that problem. i also i try to always try the truck warm up 10 min or so
Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 PM

Ok thanks I will give it a try!

The live wire has the option to shut the EGR off. Is this something I should do since it still has the EGR?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe View Post
Ok thanks I will give it a try!

The live wire has the option to shut the EGR off. Is this something I should do since it still has the EGR?
i would its not the same as deleting it but it stops all that dirty exaust from going in the intake and sooting it up also u should try cleaning it first just to be sure its not stuck open or all gummed up . i unpluged mine 20000 km ago. also just so u no the ect and eot delta should not exceed 15 degrees if it dose then the oil cooler is pluged . if u do get the egr delete also replace the oil cooler .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.