SCT - How long does it normally take? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT - How long does it normally take?

Just received the SCT SF3 tuner and couldn't wait to plug it in and see what it can do. I went through the first couple of screens to the point where it started to read the stock truck strategy...this is where things seemed to go wrong. The unit just sat there saying "Please Wait" for well over an hour. It's still on there, but now I'm starting to worry about my trucks batteries etc. How long does this normally take???

Thanks - Scotty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like you did something wrong. Recheck the sct manual to make sure you are doing the key on key off thing right. Or call sct. Should only take a few seconds to check strat...
Old 03-27-2012, 04:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty777 View Post
Just received the SCT SF3 tuner and couldn't wait to plug it in and see what it can do. I went through the first couple of screens to the point where it started to read the stock truck strategy...this is where things seemed to go wrong. The unit just sat there saying "Please Wait" for well over an hour. It's still on there, but now I'm starting to worry about my trucks batteries etc. How long does this normally take???

Thanks - Scotty
It should not take anywhere near that long. Mine only took 5 minutes total to read the strategies. Try hitting cancel or select and see what it does...Not sure about unplugging it, i know it will reset its self and fix the problem but im not sure if it would hurt anything.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the quick replies. I thought it was taking WAY too long.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would call SCT. They have pretty good customer service. I had a problem with my X3 when I first got it and they cleared it right up. Just make sure you have a laptop nearby because you'll probably need it.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Like everyone else said, 5-7 minutes is about all it should take.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Go on the SCT web site and check for updates. A friend of mine had the same thing happen. Hook the SF3 to your computer and use it to check for updates. After it updates it should be fine.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had to travel for work so I didn't get back to this right away. I tried to update the SF3 via the SCT website and it was up-to-date with the latest and greatest software.

So I went back out to give it another shot on the truck and it worked this time! One thing I did notice though, was the documentation available from SCT says there are 5 tunes loaded on this thing and I seem to be only able to access 3 of them. Of course, I read other places, here included, where it says there are only 3 canned tunes loaded. I loaded up the "Street" tune and boy what a difference from Stock! I didn't spend any time at WOT because it is non-studded, basically stock right now. However, I did get on it a bit and boy, what a difference in throttle response etc. I am quite pleased with this purchase already.

I am going to order custom tunes from Matt this week too, so I can't wait to see the difference between them. I'm a believer now. I didn't think that you could make adjustments to the point of noticing much of anything...boy was I wrong in that assumption.

Now I just have to carve out a weekend to put the pile of bullet-proofing parts that are sitting in my garage on the truck so I can worry less about it!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 AM

If your tuner came with the performance tune I would run that one cuz I gt the best fuel economy with that one on mine. You need to get a set of gauges or an edge insight to make sure you don't harm your truck though. I will tell you though you will be alright with playing with the truck without studs but don't tow heavy loads wih it tuned up on the higher tunes or you will have problems
Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 AM
N.S.D.Q.

I have the same issue when trying to load custom tunes first from the SF3. If I load the canned tunes it runs through easily. Then loading custom tunes afterwards goes quickly. Seems confused when you go to load custom tuning first. Whatever...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.