08 pan filter question *pic inside* - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
08 pan filter question *pic inside*

alright so I installed my gogo solenoid and putting on this 08 in pan filter but the new 08 filter doesn't seem to fit up in the hole as completely as the 03 in pan filter did. I have the o ring out but as you can see in this pic the in pan filter sits at an angle, that is as far in the hole as I can get it. With the original filter it sits completely horizontal. I msged Doug and he said just put the 03 filter back in, fine with me but if that's the case then I wasted my money on the 08 pan and filter. I'd rather use both if I can.

Will this be ok if the filter sits at an angle?

You can see a simliar picture in this thread and they both seem to sit at an angle.
GoGo direct solenoid and 08 tranny pan install
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 02:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
to me it look fine because those nubs on the bottom of the filter are gonna hit the pan and keep the pick up off the pan
Old 03-22-2012, 02:11 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Will the pan bolt up? I realize that it may flex the filter but can you get it cover and look like it would go on ok if you stick it up there?

I hope you get this figured out as i have a brand new 08 pan, filter, and gogo solenoid to stick in my tranny.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Will the pan bolt up? I realize that it may flex the filter but can you get it cover and look like it would go on ok if you stick it up there?

I hope you get this figured out as i have a brand new 08 pan, filter, and gogo solenoid to stick in my tranny.
The pan does push the filter forward just a little bit, yes. I had put the pan on and held it in place and felt the filter move 'forward' a little bit. so i dropped the pan down and made sure the filter hadn't moved, it didn't so I just put the pan up and I just finished bolting it on.

Doug got back to me and said let it ride. I must have confused him cuz after I sent him a picture of what I was talking about he said "That looks like the supercede filter we have been using in all torqshifts".

I'm gonna take it for a spin in a couple hours I will let you know if I notice anything.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:41 PM

Another couple things that aren't in that write up that I referred to.

1. When you pull the pan filter out, have the bucket underneith because a bunch of trans fluid comes out with it. Like, 2-3 cups it seemed.

2. Same goes for the solenoid, a bunch of trans fluid comes out of both ends. maybe a cup or two. you can control how fast it flows out by pulling the oem solenoid out slowly.

I also changed my toilet paper roll filter. From what I've read I'm lucky I was able to get the canister loose. Wasn't a pain at all.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Please do let us know. I am interested to see how it works out for ya. What type of transmission fluid did you go with?? Are you going to do a flush as well or just fill the pan?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Is it ok to run the 08 filter AND the "toilet paper" style filter together?? Just wondering if puts too much strain on the pump. I dont think the 08s even have a toilet paper style filter but I could be wrong.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM

Mercon SP. I don't plan on having anymore heated flushes done on this trans if I don't have to. Had one done about 30k ago and from here on out I'll just do 8 and 8.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Got ya. Makes sense.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Is it ok to run the 08 filter AND the "toilet paper" style filter together?? Just wondering if puts too much strain on the pump. I dont think the 08s even have a toilet paper style filter but I could be wrong.
I found some posts by Mark K(former ford trans engineer, I'm sure you know) that said you can remove the external but he never said anything about there being an issue with running both. I should have PMed him. But I also read of other folks that kept both in after this upgrade and they weren't complaining. I told doug I changed the external also and he didn't mention anything. I'll ask him right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.