Question on programming - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question on programming

I jsut got my truck about a month ago and drove it back from Houston to Indianapolis. I've been spending the last month getting things running good. A couple of injectors were sticking but the Rev-X seems to have cleared that up. Running Power Service Diesel Kleen at 16oz per tank seems to make the injectors happy too. So when I bought the truck I was getting about 22 highway MPG which I verified within 0.2 mpg on the long trip back using hand calcs. Around town, I've verified the last 2 tanks to be 15.9 mpg avg and within 0.2 mpg of meter as well using hand calcs and fueling at the same station.

Yesterday, I decided to re-check just the highway mpg after running the Rev-X and Diesel Kleen for 2 tanks. So, I reset the mileage meter on the truck while driving 65 with cruise on for about 15 milles on flat roads. The computer, which I somehwat trust after validating with hand calcs, it stelling me I am getting 27mpg over that 15 miles! Obviously around town with stop and go is much lower at around 12mpg. I re-verified the 27mpg this morning on the highway for about another 10 miles. First off, I didn't trust the numbers when I saw some of the other guys posting similar values. Not sure I trust my own or not yet. I have a long highway trip coming up where I can verify with hand calcs also.

Assuming for a moment the numbers the computer gave me are at least close, should I plan to go through with my original plan to get an SCT and run the SRL tune? I was going to do it for better daily fuel MPG (and the occasional fun stomp on the skinny pedal). Could I expect to get even better than 27mpg Highway with an SRL tune (assuming no stomp on the skinny pedal)?

Thanks,

Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have seen as much as 28 mpg@65 (perfect conditions) I tested the claims of many parts over the same loop, Quadzilla, hypertech, accufab, airaid, mbrp, fuel additives. While I never got better mpg than 28, they did help in everyday driving. My new PHP race tune gets good mpg, it seems to have a bad spot between 55-65 where the mpg dips down to the lower teens, so if I ran the same test loop my mpg would be much lower, although real world mpg is about the same (I cruise@75, and now run 35"s).
Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Since about half of my "daily" driving is on city roads with some stop and go, I might still go ahead and get the tuner/tune if that will improve my low end (non-highway) mileage. I'll be towing a 8000lb travel trailer too which would probably improve mileage with a tune. Planning the EGR delete soon (when I get about 8-10 horus of free time) and a kitty pipe for lower EGT.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The best towing mpg that I ever got towing was on my hypertech max energy tuner towing 5000lbs plus a loaded truck with 5 passengers 20mpg at 55-60 on stock tires, flatland, no wind. The hypertech ran well and got great mpg, the stage one used stock fueling levels, and more timing, the stage 3 115hp got the best mpg if you used a very light foot. if you are planning future mods(esp egr delete) get an sct, or edge cts evolution to support custom tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.