Superchips safety... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Superchips safety...

Yeah, so I recently got ahold of a Superchips tuner for a good deal and will be running it my truck until my warranty is up, as I would imagine the Superchips is a relatively "conservative" piece of tuning equipment, and I'm waiting till I have more green for an SCT, headstuds, TQ convertor and such. The unit has a 59/92, 97/145, and 105/160 HP/TQ setting. My truck's an '06 (built Nov. '05), so the bugs oughta be out of it and it hasn't had any problems so far, knock on wood. I know once you start tuning things you can't complain or whine about damage, and that more power means more wear, whining is not my goal. So, maybe the techs or guys who are ultra-familiar with these rigs can chime in: how safe is it to run the truck on the upper levels on a regular basis? Is it wise to only program the performance levels once in a while? I mean I'm not gonna always put the hammer down...I can't afford to blow too much $$$ on diesel every week. I don't do much towing, so can I program it to the highest setting and just cruise on that without any major worries? On the max setting it'll be getting under 400 hp...this should be low enough to not require studs, tranny mods or stuff like that...I just wanna have a little fun now and then as a daily driver, to remind me of when I had my Corvette. Opinions, ideas?

Last edited by DieselViking; 09-22-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
I'm no tech, but I do think your thinking is correct and you have hit the nail on the head...

but, I'm sure some of the techs will be along sometime soon
Old 09-22-2007, 03:11 PM

should be ok if ucan keep ur foot out of it ;-D
Old 09-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Banned

at the power levels of that programmer, you will have no problems containg the power. remember that once you get used to the power, and can be more conservative on the go pedal, you will start seeing the increase in mileage on the most powerful setting. unlike gassers, us diesel get better mileage the more we crank them up..

also, you can change the settings as often as wish without harming anything. matt has reflashed his ecm literally THOUSANDS of times and no worries. the only thing to consider is that every time you reflash, the tranny goes back into relearn mode for a few hundred miles, so it may shift weird and be jerky right after every reflash.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

I don't see on your sig. that you are running an aftermarket intake. If not it would DRASTICALLY help, and a more open exaust
Old 09-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmalards View Post
I don't see on your sig. that you are running an aftermarket intake. If not it would DRASTICALLY help, and a more open exaust
actually your factory intake with the donaldson filter is the best thing you can use on that motor. unless you are making more than 500HP at the wheels you should leave the factory setup there.

the factory setup will hold about 8lbs of dirt, and as long as you change them when the sensor says to you should be fine. if you want to change the filter just for looks, then get the AFE stage 2 it has proven to be the best at filtering out the fine particles.
your money would be better spent on an SCT first before an intake.
gauges/exhaust/SCT
Old 09-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
on the 6.0L.....

SEVEN - you would be correct in talking about our 7.3's
Old 09-22-2007, 04:24 PM

Thanks for chiming in guys. I've been thinking I was right on about the Superchips being fairly safe but I want all the opinions and info I can get. And I will go easy on it...I LOVE seeing how much mileage I can get to a tank. It's a game to me. Yeah, I'm keeping the stock intake for now, might get something else once I go SCT. As for the exhaust, right now it ends [I]right[I] after the cat, with a 90 degree out the side of the truck just past the cab. My next purchase is a 3.5 MBRP downpipe. I figure since I shortened the exhaust already, once I add the downpipe I won't need to do the whole rest of it 4 in.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Banned

true. just so you know the mbrp downpipe isnt a whole lot bigger than the stock one, but it sure has nice smooth bends where the stock one has a lot of kinks in it, as a matter of fact i was gonna tell you not to waste your money on it when i first started this.. but the more i think about the difference between them, the more i'm going to shut my mouth about it. if i hadnt already wasted this much time typing, i'd just hit back page and forget the whole post..
Old 09-23-2007, 06:31 AM

Hmm. Yeah, the mandrel bends are good for the flow. .5 inch increase in diameter should be roughly %15 increase in flow depending on the physics end of things. I mean I could also get a 4 inch downpipe that'll bolt up to the cat and then get some 4 inch pipe and a coupler to clamp on after the cat...but the cat's 3.5 inches and I'd like to keep it on so I don't see the logic of having "4 inch downpipe...3.5 inch cat...4 inch pipe." Course I could delete the cat, but I dunno if my conscience will allow that. Haha. Actually I just read an article in the latest Diesel Power that says the cat on our trucks doesn't really do much for emissions except act as a burner for particulate waste, since the EGR on our trucks takes care of the greater part of bad emissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.