Boost gauges... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost gauges...

So, I've asked a number of Ford diesel techs, and I've asked a number of Ford diesel owners which is the best reading, the factory boost gauge on the dash (read from the MAP sensor) or from the intake elbow (mechanical gauge 90% of people install on their pillars).

The Ford techs (everyone last one of them) say the factory one is the most accurate. Owners and aftermarket parts vendors insist the elbow is the most accurate. I have both installed and know that the mechanical one reads about 5 psi higher than the factory one.

I personally feel the the mechanical one is the most accurate and for obvious reasons, but I also understand algorithms (1's and 0's) in regards to computer components and changing letters into numbers and so forth (the reason for Ford techs to insist the factory one is the best option), the means with which the gauge on the dash works.

Any thoughts folks..???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

valid point on the elbow as that is the direct pressure going into the motor. however the fact that our(6.0) boost gauge is read from a MAP sensor which is measured inside the manifold could also be argued that it is more accurate. in a personal opinion i love mechanical boost gauges but they also can read slightly higher becuase of being mechanical. but i think it comes to a personal preference. I dont use my stock boost gauge becuase my turbo pushs 44 lbs lol
Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My personal opinion is if you are measuring something that is moving/flowing at two different locations, it is unrealistic to expect to different (types of operation) gauges to read exactly the same. The only way that they should be expected to is if one is tapped into the exact same location as the MAP but on the opposite side of the manifold. Also, I dont see the value in knowing what the pressure is inside the elbow when the pressure in the manifold, which is closer to the engine, is more important IMO. Now I have had a mechanical boost gauge that was tapped into the MAP sensing line and it read consistently 3psi greater than the tiny analog gauge on the dash. I have also displayed "turbo boost" with my CTS and it reads (taking it from the MAP sensor itself) 3psi above the dash needle. Therefore, I have observed turbo boost calculated from the MAP sensor to be equal to the mechanical boost guage (because both guages measured the same point) but both to be different from the dash guage.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Dam, you're getting into some serious gagingJust joking with you,I do agree that an aftermarket gage is going to be more accurate,just by past dealings with other factory gages.I too have a boost gage taped into the MAP and when I'm on it the boost shows 30psi.I also agree that the manifold pressure is what you need to know.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah you are right man I am. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.