I Know What I Want.....Can You Guys Help Me Get There? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I Know What I Want.....Can You Guys Help Me Get There?

Hey Fellas,

I want my 2006 F-350 DRW to make 500hp at the rear wheels and about 800-1000ft-lbs. of torque at the rear wheels. What would be your suggestions as to how I could get there?

Here are the assumptions that you can all make:

1). I don't race or sled pull
2). My truck is an everyday driver
3). Gauges are a given (EGT, boost, tranny)
4). Sun Coast or BTS tranny is on the way
5). ARP studs are on the way
6). I frequently pull a 14k 5th wheel trailer
7). I want to keep this truck for a LONG time.......luv my 6.0L

*****3,4, and 5 will be in place before ANY other mods

Even though my sig says a "Banks" system, I'm just not so sure any more

Given the above scenario:

1. What turbo would you suggest?
2. What exhaust?
3. What tuner/programmer?
4. What injectors?
5. What fuel system?
6. What air intake?
7. What drugs would you put on it?

Some of you guys are already beyond these numbers for sure.......help me get there!

Your Thoughts?

Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Well your getting the studs and the tranny out of the way first and thats great....I would say gauge, SCT, AFE intake, and pick your exhaust FBD, MBRP, Magnaflow......if your not racing or pullin, I wouldn't worry about drugs, but they are the easy way to go with a shot of laughin gas or meth injection, but I don't think you would want to hit the laughin gas while pullin a trailer .....I'd say the next would be a quick spool turbo, but that is a little over my head I don't believe there is a fuel system out for the 6.0 yet, but I could be wrong.....
Old 09-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

depends how much money you want to spend....you could go with some twins from BWD or you could get a VGT-SS, go with some 190-225cc injectors everyone seems to have good luck with the casserly injectors. Just depends if you want to make most of your power off from drugs or you want to hit it hard with drugs. sounds like your already building your trans up...when I do I will give john woods a call....from my understanding this guy knows his stuff. Obviously get an SCT programmer, you might as well get an intercooler and possibly different CAC tubes. From what I have read and talked to DJ you dont really need a fuel system beyond a fuel intensifier till you reach the 250+cc injector size. This isnt from my experience but from good friends of mines experience. If I was in your shoes I would get a VGT-SS turbo, some 200-225 injectors, intercooler, John woods built trans, and Nex NOx system.

as mentioned above get a turbo back exhaust...minimum 409SS....I will argue all day on this issue!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Jon

Hp

Its kind of like normal power gains. You can get to around 375-400 and 750-800 fairly easy but its the next step thats gonna cost you money. Kind of like ice draging snowmobiles. Its easy hitting 100mph but its getting past it that takes thought and moneyl
Old 09-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned

call matt at spartan diesel tech.
i had the same goals, and now we are surpassing them for not very much dough
he's a great guy to deal with.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You are going to have the hardest time satisfying number 6 and still get over 500 rwhp without drugs. If you are not racing then there is no really benefit for you from NOS. You will then have a hard time making that power and still being able to tow without going with twin turbos.

TO DATE: nobody has been able to show me a 500+ rwhp dyno of a 6.0 without nos. Many claim they can or theories they have over 500 but I haven't seen it yet on paper.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:34 PM
The Fat Mod

I think one of the best combos out there from all I have read and heard is the 190 injectors, VGT-SS turbo, I would do a FASS fuel system. I plan on doing the 150/180 but you probably dont need that much. It will help protect your investment in the injectors though. AFE intake, the stage 2 that is not open if you can swing it. I would just stay away from the drugs unless you want to play some. With that set up I would say that you will be more than happy with the power and performance. Seems to be a good combo. Anything bigger than a 190 injector, you will have a hard time clearing it up on the street and you will be blowing a haze about all the time. Good luck with the build up and keep us posted.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubeowner View Post
You are going to have the hardest time satisfying number 6 and still get over 500 rwhp without drugs. If you are not racing then there is no really benefit for you from NOS. You will then have a hard time making that power and still being able to tow without going with twin turbos.

TO DATE: nobody has been able to show me a 500+ rwhp dyno of a 6.0 without nos. Many claim they can or theories they have over 500 but I haven't seen it yet on paper.
i have to disagree jeremy.. i know your truck is fast as i don't doubt your knowledge when it comes to these motors.. but several things to consider.
he can satisfy number 6 by changing his SCT tune to a tow tune, which of course wont be 500hp, but he can change back when he's not towing.

also, if you are coming to the november show, make sure to find me, as you will see well over 500 at the wheels and i have NO INTENTION of ever running NOS or water/meth on my truck.

i may add nos someday strictly for low end to help spool the turbo at the dragstrip, but i'm sure it will be a while till someone here gives me enough of a challenge to where i'll need to add it.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
depends how much money you want to spend....you could go with some twins from BWD or you could get a VGT-SS, go with some 190-225cc injectors everyone seems to have good luck with the casserly injectors. Just depends if you want to make most of your power off from drugs or you want to hit it hard with drugs. sounds like your already building your trans up...when I do I will give john woods a call....from my understanding this guy knows his stuff. Obviously get an SCT programmer, you might as well get an intercooler and possibly different CAC tubes. From what I have read and talked to DJ you dont really need a fuel system beyond a fuel intensifier till you reach the 250+cc injector size. This isnt from my experience but from good friends of mines experience. If I was in your shoes I would get a VGT-SS turbo, some 200-225 injectors, intercooler, John woods built trans, and Nex NOx system.

as mentioned above get a turbo back exhaust...minimum 409SS....I will argue all day on this issue!
My injectors were built by Ryan casserly, and i haven't heard anyone having problems with them either. Spartan turbo is every bit as good as the VGT-SS, he can do all of these mods and for less money, no need for the NOS yet at the goals he is trying to attain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think one of the best combos out there from all I have read and heard is the 190 injectors, VGT-SS turbo, I would do a FASS fuel system. I plan on doing the 150/180 but you probably dont need that much. It will help protect your investment in the injectors though. AFE intake, the stage 2 that is not open if you can swing it. I would just stay away from the drugs unless you want to play some. With that set up I would say that you will be more than happy with the power and performance. Seems to be a good combo. Anything bigger than a 190 injector, you will have a hard time clearing it up on the street and you will be blowing a haze about all the time. Good luck with the build up and keep us posted.
i have the FASS 150/180 myself too, but i've always had a tendency to overbuild everything. i went with a180 injector myself, but you can run a larger one without problems if you are using the SCT, because you can turn down the programming to keep smoke down.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubeowner View Post

remember jeremy, matt has made 440HP with programming on a stock truck with just an intake, exhaust, and a straight pipe. stock turbo, stock injectors.

how can you NOT make over 500 with bigger turbo , bigger injectors, hotter tuning and head studs ?? there are several i know of making these numbers without drugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.