Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Running 190's stock on stock?

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  pizza pig 
#1 ·
I've saved enough money for new 190's but i've heard conflicting answers to my question. Can i run them on a stock turbo and stock fuel system? Is it safe for the next few months till i can upgrade to atleast a powermax? Anyone running 190's 75% on stock? There's a bunch of info here on what you should and shouldn't do in this setup but it seems like preference. (funds permitted) Am i gtg to run it like this for a few months? If so, what tunes, tuner do you guys recommend? I've heard just running a good tow tune until i can upgrade my turbo. Thoughts from the guys running this application???

#2 ·
I would think i would be fine...more smoke then needed but will get the job done...

Also heard the Powermax is not the best option for 190's....

ToMuch03 (Adam) needs to chime in... He is running 190's with a Powermax and IICR he was wanting to get a different turbo...

#3 ·
I ran 190/75's with a race tune with a stock fuel system and stock turbo. Was perfectly fine, I had a good stock regulator, good fuel pump and good tuning.

Still on stock turbo and have a full out fuel system, still with no issues. I dont plan to upgrade my turbo anytime soon, I drive around smoke free unless I mash it with tsd tuning.

#5 ·
I would atleast put an Airdog 2 on it or equal lift pump. These injectors ain't cheap and my 155s was pulling the fuel pressure too low before the Airdog 2

#6 ·
Yeah, eventually i'll upgrade the fuel system and turbo but when you're married you have to sneak a few benjamins at a time. I've literally spent 8k in the last 4 months on my truck. The wife will probably stick an injector up my *** if she found out what i'm getting ready to do. :D

#9 ·
I've hit 1800 several times drag racing. Like you said, its not a problem just flashing that hot for a couple seconds.

Steelnc, I have buddies that are married so I've heard all about the wife getting upset lol

#8 ·
I have 175/75 and fuel regultor return system,extra fuel filter and inline fuel pump,and ran with a 62mm/88mm turbo_On my gearhead tune SRL extreme,the truck shuddered and idled rough,smoked and egt's were at 1600 when full on it.I now have a tweeked tune from gearheads SRL+ for the 175/75 and moved up to a 63.5mm/88mm.Also have some tunes from quicktricks looney,looney wild for 175/75,putting truck together tomorrow will be taking video of truck so I update you on how it goes.

#14 ·
I would say you should be fine with the stock fuel system, as long as you have a good regulator, like athe blue spring mod. The stock fuel pump can handle the volume no problem. I ran around with 185s (Elite diesel injectors :doh:) and a regualted return on the stock fuel pump for a while. If you really want to get the most out of the injectors, a fuel system is a good idea.

About the powermax, I got one for my 190s last summer when almost everyone thought they were the shiznit. The pmax is a good upgrade, and it is a definite improvement over the 03 turbo. We are talking about a 300* drop in EGTs at WOT. But it is still no where near enough turbo for the 190s (my truck smokes like a pig when I get on it with a full fuel tune). Based on my experience, a nonVGT between 62-66mm would be a better fit, and not much more cost, about an extra grand. JMO

#16 ·
They suddenly started quitting, with less than 30k on them. I had good fuel pressure, FICM voltage, HPOP on the truck, and the oil had always been changed regularily. Both the PO and I were/are meticulous about maintenance. When I had them flow tested, the guy said that six of the eight were flowing less than stock injectors would have been. :dunno: At the time, I did not know a whole lot about how the injectors worked, so I didn't ask a lot of questions, but Elite was not very helpful at all. The injectors were just outside of the 1 year warranty, so they said they would replace them all at full cost or they could rebuild them on my dime. I just cut my losses and bought industrial injection, they were great to deal with.

#19 ·
Ya.. Would have to agree.. I am struggleing to get my Core charge back after purchasing my tuned 58V FICM months ago... I have got some nice products from them tho.. Just customer Service is a lil lacking.....Back on topic!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.