Mods,Tune,and test story,BAD and GOOD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mods,Tune,and test story,BAD and GOOD

First off let me start with guiddance from this site,I started to mod my stock 2004 truck.Of course as things came together truck got faster and faster,then more and more mods,I first started with making truck relaible,EGR delete,new oil cooler,studded,truck had exhaust,lift kit and tires.Since this was my first diesel and rode in only two 6.0 powerstroke since put out and I thought my truck was a good runner.Well when I had stuff apart found hole in turbo boot,and vacum line for map boost sense line heat rotted.Fixed all and it ran really well,next had problems with cold starts which when I changed fuel lifters and oil could tell truck was not kept up really good.Upgraded FICM computer and ran REV-X,ran even better, than got a SCT tuner,with custom tunes first from MKM (mike) it was so so,than from gearheads(SRL+ and SRL Extreme) and gages,hollys***,what a runner,reminded of my modded 5.0 mustangs.Then came blue fuel reg. kit,and banjo mod,ccv mod.Was going in right direction,ran really hard and smoked alot of truck and cars.Then my injector decide to give up(strated to put fuel in cylinders when parked overnight)dam the luck,decided to replace all injectors and what the h*** might as well step up,so I went with 175cc 75%.Then of course came a bigger turbo,to clean up the injectors,as well as extra inline fuel pump,extra fuel filter,and regulated fuel return system.Well so much for not having any problems,truck didn't run as good as It did before injectors,idle was rough,and shuddered at 1500 rpm when cruising.The turbos I was trying are my own modded stock garretts(look up turbo experiment poll).I a hard time keeping boots from blowing off,new hoses and then blew a hole in the stock plastic tube from intercooler to intake.The turbo a 62.5mm/88mm,wasn't big enough for the injectors,black smoke high EGT,whiched to a 63.5mm/88mm turbo with batmowheel mod.Contacted tuner and was told tune needs tweeked for bigger injectors,gets rid of idle problem and shudder from injector mod,also needs tweeked for bigger turbo.Wanted something new went with Vivian from Quicktricks(alot of good post on here) for looney tunes,and was a real joy to deal with.Got looney tune,looney wild and looney wild track tune.Just got them today and when I wake up tomorrow after work I will be putting new modded turbo 63.5mm/88mm batmowheel in,upgraded driverside intercooler FORD pipe (aluminum),cold intake kit,new boost gage,water meth injection,and Quicktricks tune.Justed wanted to share my stories and hope it helps with putting a combo together,the easier the process and real trial and errors I can share the more faster,and reliable 6.0 powerstroke can be come of this.I believe in this engine and like a challenge,I do have more mods planned that I hope to get alot of attention for the 6.0 powerstroke.With the help of this forum and a lot and I mean lot of research before and after I bought my truck as gotten me to this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds great, keep us posted.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The usual "snow ball" effect. I've upgraded this and now I have to upgrade that. It happened to me too But I gotta say, I LOVE MY TRUCK!!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:06 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Me too. I'm on a mission now to see how many oem parts I can replace with aftermarket performance parts before the truck wont run any more. I am definitely addicted now.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Yeh, it's easy to get hooked on diesel power for sure,I worked on a stocker one day doing head gaskets and the guy said nice truck you have,does it move?So I replied here's the keys take it out and see,when he came back he said what the h*** did you do to this thing and how much money will it cost to do that to mine.It's fun to have that happen but I think it's alot more fun to shock the H*** of anyone out there on the streets that don't know what diesels can really do.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have full-on raging diesel adition too now. Thanks to you azzholes Everytime I read about someone elses truck that is faster than mine, I want to pllay catch-up.

It is so much fun to take people for a ride who have no idea what diesels can do...I usually put a towel on the passenger seat first so they don't crap on the leather
Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

Son of a b****,was ready to have fun and start truck and FICM took a sh**.I had alot more choice words that I was saying and kicking the tires.Ordered new one and it's on the way,I have fixed this one before and even upgraded it,so I give up.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Sorry to hear that man

Hope you have a better time with the new FICM
Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what do you think is the best performance parts for my 2005 f250 6.0 truck. i had a superchip and blew the head gasket, but i bought the truck used. so i could have bought the truck with the gasket leaking but what do you think the chances are on blowing it again if i put the chip back on? right now all i have done to the truck is taken the muffler out and hollowed out the cat.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1 View Post
what do you think is the best performance parts for my 2005 f250 6.0 truck. i had a superchip and blew the head gasket, but i bought the truck used. so i could have bought the truck with the gasket leaking but what do you think the chances are on blowing it again if i put the chip back on? right now all i have done to the truck is taken the muffler out and hollowed out the cat.
It has been a long day,But hey got the truck running.After a good night sleep and few beers,the frustration where off.I woke up and started to troubleshoot the truck.Check voltage again and .1,removed FICM computer and started to look at wires.Found ground wire and one other wire chafed.Repaired wires and installed computer,check voltage again and had 58v.Put truck back together and started,nice idle,and ran good.Loaded Looney tune(quicktricks) first time running this tune,took it down the road and it was blowing too much smoke,and EGT were high.Got of hold of Vivian and she made some adjustments to looney,in mean time I uploaded Gearheads SRL+ for 175/75,idled good,starts great and has better response than stock turbo.Egt's still high for me 1700 full throttle,going to load up Vivians tune and see if the tweeks she made are more of what I want.KYLE1----- You're going to have to give me more info than superchips and blowing your heads.What mods have you done since than and are now on your truck.I run SCT and I know by using them(tuner) its the best one out there for 6.0 powerstrokes.Best tuner for either studded or unstudded,not their can tunes but the custom tunes.SCT custom tuners(Matt,Eric,Vivian,Chris) will kick the shi* out of any other tuners out there(Hypemax,Edge,Superchips)including reliablity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.