Intake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intake

I have the K&N FIPK Intake on my truck, do you think it would be better to switch to the enclosed Outlaw X or enclosed stage 2 AFE.. Ive been reading about how much dirt the K&N lets in, or do you think ill be good...or could i just put the pre filter cover on the K&N and be ok...your thoughts please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 PM

does airaid, afe, or anybody else make a good filter that will fit the K&N kit....i just want to replace the filter but keep the tubes and everything....
Old 09-20-2007, 07:21 PM

Measure the outlet of the K/N filter (diameter, length) and just try to find another brand filter with the same outlet dimensions...I'm sure with a little detective work you'll find something that'll allow you to keep the tubing. Check out AEM air filters, they are washable dry filters, no oiling necessary, or AFE, AFE is quality. There are many brands to choose from, you just gotta spend the time doing the research. Good luck. My brother has the exact same issue...he just bought a '99 with a K/N setup, he also wants to get a different filter. If he finds one soon I'll let ya know what he got. Happy hunting.

PS: Solved your problem and my brother's partially: Go to the K&N website, enter in your vehicle info, select the FIPK kit for your vehicle, then under the "replacement parts" section of the page, select "replacement filter"...the page that comes up has ALL the dimension info for the filter...now, just find one of another brand you like that matches those dimensions...EASY.

Last edited by DieselViking; 09-20-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:44 PM

Here are the dimensions for the filter that comes with the 06 FIPK

RC-5102 Product Specifications
Product Style: Oval Tapered Universal Air Filter
Base Outside Length: 9.5 in (241 mm)
Base Outside Width: 6.75 in (171 mm)
Flange Inside Diameter: 4 in (102 mm)
Flange Length: 1.875 in (48 mm)
Flange Offset: 1.5 in (38 mm)
Flange Type: Offset
Height: 8.938 in (227 mm)
Top Outside Length: 9 in (229 mm)
Top Outside Width: 5.5 in (140 mm)

Find something that has the same inlet and will fit into the same space and you're done. AFE has lots of universal filters.

PS: I'm having best luck finding universal filters made by Airaid and Trueflow, both good brands.

Last edited by DieselViking; 09-20-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06F-250-6.0 View Post
does airaid, afe, or anybody else make a good filter that will fit the K&N kit....i just want to replace the filter but keep the tubes and everything....
afe seems to be the filter of choice here, and i am currently looking for one of their new dry ones to fit my airaid enclosed intake, even though i have no problems with it, i just want to switch to a dry filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselViking View Post
Here are the dimensions for the filter that comes with the 06 FIPK

RC-5102 Product Specifications
Product Style: Oval Tapered Universal Air Filter
Base Outside Length: 9.5 in (241 mm)
Base Outside Width: 6.75 in (171 mm)
Flange Inside Diameter: 4 in (102 mm)
Flange Length: 1.875 in (48 mm)
Flange Offset: 1.5 in (38 mm)
Flange Type: Offset
Height: 8.938 in (227 mm)
Top Outside Length: 9 in (229 mm)
Top Outside Width: 5.5 in (140 mm)

Find something that has the same inlet and will fit into the same space and you're done. AFE has lots of universal filters.

PS: I'm having best luck finding universal filters made by Airaid and Trueflow, both good brands.

i have been looking for a while myself for a replacement filter, do you think the 06 and the 04 have the same dimensions ?? i have an 04 with airaid, and want to get a dry AFE also to fit it.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned

that is great info viking, as long as the other websites also offer the dimensions so we will know which one to order. do you know if AFE has those ?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
06 - if you are worried about the K&N - just open look in your intake tube and turbo inlet to see if there is any dust in there - if there is - then be worried your filter isn't oiled or isn't filtering like it should..

I have a AFE stage 1 intake and when I take my tube off - I was surprised to see there was no dust at all in there... So basically - if you see dust - you need to change something... otherwise you should be fine
Old 09-21-2007, 03:25 AM
Banned

brant i would only be suprised if you DID see dust, as AFE is probably the best a/m filter you can use.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:17 AM

AFE's website sucks. You have to find a distributor that lists the product info...it won't be as specific as the K&N website, but if you find something with the proper coupler internal diameter (i.e. inlet/coupler I.D. 4", 5", etc.) and the right height and base diameter you should be fine. Prolly won't be EXACTLY the dimensions of your current filter but if it's a little bigger and you can make it fit, great...if it's a bit smaller, no worries, all these flow a lot of air. For your K&N dimensions look up your vehicles FIPK on the K&N site and then click on replacement filter. Then happy hunting finding a different brand match.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 AM

thanks alot....good info....i wanna switch to dry filter too.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.