Oil Bypass and Coolant Filters w/ Banks Intercooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Bypass and Coolant Filters w/ Banks Intercooler

I wanted to share my oil bypass and coolant filter setup with those guys running a Banks intercooler, because the boost pipe coming off the turbo takes up a lot of available space for this install. I contacted Scott Richards about using his kit that he sells on dieseloilbypasskits.com. He said he didn't think it would work, due to the size of the Banks boost pipe. I told him that I'd buy it and try it anyway. I really liked the water jetted "6.0" on the bracket...

So, the kit arrived, and I started laying it out. It definitely was not going to fit the original way it was designed. So, I made a phone call to my fabrication partner (Kelly Hatfield in Sun City, CA), and out came the welder... Don't get me wrong, Scott's kit is solid and very well designed, but it just wouldn't fit my rig with the Banks intercooler. Kelly got to hacking, welding, bending, and grinding, and the picture below is the outcome of the mad fabricator.

Thanks to Scott Richards for allowing me to hack up his kit and working with me to get the parts I needed. Don't hesitate to check out his kit if you don't have the Banks intercooler. Awesome stuff!

Let me know what you guys think...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duncan's KR Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan's KR
Looks great!!! I like it ..... Maybe Scott should think about doing something like this too, lots of guys with banks inter-coolers on their rigs.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 PM

neat bends looks good Which oil bypass is this?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is a Scott Richards designed Amsoil bypass kit.

I'm pretty sure Scott's wheels are turning already about a kit to work with the Banks setup.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Good job on the mods, looks like it was made that way.
The one comment I have is about the bracket being bolted to both the motor (main mount is on the alternator) and then also bolting it to the intercooler mounting bolt. The motor will move (torque) when under a load, so you really shouldn't have a solid bracket bolted between the motor and the radiator support. I think your small bracket may eventually break.
Other than that it looks great.

EDIT - I like your site glass for seeing the water flow in the bypass.
I had an Amarillo before I bought the 450, they are great looking trucks

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 03-08-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ah, that's an EXCELLENT point, Arctic! I didn't even think about that. That's why I love these forums...

Maybe I should put a rubber bushing between the nut and the bracket? Think that would give it enough room to move, or should I remove the nut and let it float?
Old 03-08-2012, 03:12 PM

Nice did you get that from here 6.0 oil bypass filtration system and parts 6.0 billet aluminum filter cap airdog II - Diesel Oil bypass filtration & Coolant kits Ford Powerstroke 6.0 Chevy 6.6 Dodge 5.9 Parts Filters Aluminum oil filter caps Powerstroke Crankcase vent
Then you made it fit you truck.
You should be able to put a rubber bushing on that other bolt
Old 03-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhastings04 View Post
Ah, that's an EXCELLENT point, Arctic! I didn't even think about that. That's why I love these forums...

Maybe I should put a rubber bushing between the nut and the bracket? Think that would give it enough room to move, or should I remove the nut and let it float?
I would drill the hole bigger in the small bracket and put a rubber grommet in it, then put a washer on each side and use a nylon lock nut so you don't have to tighten it up too much.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Like a FICM bushing
Old 03-08-2012, 04:36 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First I will say Scott has stepped up to the plate but I have had plenty of issues with the kit contents.

First was the oil cap and the coolant filter head. Oil cap leaked since the swivel fitting was not properly tightened up. I fixed it the first time but the cap leaked AGAIN later down the road. I got a new fitting from Scott. I do not use the swivel fitting at this time.
The coolant filter head I got was cracked from the manufacturer. Scott got a second one out to me but took a ted longer than I had hoped.

I wanted the kit since the bracket held both filter setups but there are MUCH better parts to buy out there.

As I started out Scott stepped up and resolved my issues. I just wish he sold the bracket separated from the other parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
banks intercooler, coolant filter, dieseloilbypasskits.com, filter bracket, oil bypass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.