Issue with EGT probe location. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Issue with EGT probe location.

Ok so before you all slap me... hear me out, I am not going to ask where to mount my egt probe. I have read time and time again that you mount it in the exhaust manifold on the drivers side.

I have a couple of issues with this...... First there is no way of getting all the metal shavings out of the manifold without removing it therefore you send them straight thru your turbo.

Second, Wouldnt this in effect only be monitoring one bank of your engine?? what about the passenger side cylinders??

The only logical places to put the probe is either in the y-pipe (still would need to remove it to ensure you arent sending FOD thru your turbo) or just past the turbo in the down pipe. which would be the easiest for the installer and safest for your turbo.

If I am wrong then thats fine, but can someone tell me why?? Any opinions are welcomed as long as they come with an explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow. Ok well the reason for the turbo in the manifold is because it just a representation of what is going on with the engine. Having the probe any other place just isnt going to give a better representation.

Now as far as sending FOD (you have to be in aviation) into the turbo. First if you drill slow, stop before you punch through, start the truck, and then slowly break through; then all of the shavings will fall down and then get blown in your face once the truck is started so very little to if any shavings actually make it to the turbo. Secondly the very minute shavings that might make it will easily pass through the turbine wheel blades and fly out the exhaust. It has been proven over and over to be a proven method for installing the EGT probe.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM

I had to laugh, yes i am in aviation. With the egt probe in the exhaust manifold i just feel like if something were to go wrong with the passenger bank of cylinders I would never know about it until it was too late. is the y-pipe too far away that it wouldnt give just as accurate representation even if it were a few degrees cooler?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmac83 View Post
I had to laugh, yes i am in aviation. With the egt probe in the exhaust manifold i just feel like if something were to go wrong with the passenger bank of cylinders I would never know about it until it was too late. is the y-pipe too far away that it wouldnt give just as accurate representation even if it were a few degrees cooler?
Post turbo can be many degrees cooler and not give you can accurate reading, y-pipe would be a lot more representative of cylinder temps, but you want the most accurate representation of the cylinder temps b/c the pistons are aluminum and they are what melts first. The best setup would be two pyros, one on each manifold but that is a little over kill unless its a highly tuned, high hp motor, or you tow crazy weight. Big trucks (triaxles, tractor trailers) usually have more than one pyro, usually pre and post turbo, or pre and post both turbos on trucks with twins b/c they are beat on (lack of better term) every day pulling a lot of weight and moving a lot of fuel. As for drilling, as long as you go slow and let the shavings fall out of the hole while drilling and tapping, you should be fine. You can always magnetize a piece of wire or paperclip or pick and put it in the hole to get out any shavings on the inside. And like said above, the possible tiny shaving that gets through won't likely damage the turbo. Don't ever use a greased drill bit or greased tap b/c that will collect the shavings possibly inside the manifold......
Old 03-06-2012, 03:38 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Pretty much what he said. Dont sweat the other side unless you really want to.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 AM

I went very slowly with the bit to get small shavings. Then I used a shop vac and a small magnet to get inside the hole. Worked perfectly. When I did mine, there was a thread on here about starting vs not starting the truck. The general consensus was that starting the truck could be a BIG issue if the bit were to break or a large shaving got into the manifold. At least if you break a bit with the truck off you can unbolt the manifold and extract it
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I magnetized my drill bit before using it. That way the chips stick to it. Just pull it out occasionally to clean it. Then fill up the volutes on the tap with grease to hold those chips when you tap it.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
NOT TO MENTION IF YOU DRILL IN THE Y-PIPE OR DOWN PIPE IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE PASSENGER BANK GETTING HOT OR COLD, THE DRIVER SIDE HEAT WILL DILUTE IT AND YOU WONT GET A GOOD READING ANYWAYS. ON PAPER BOTH SIDES SHOULD BE EXACTLY THE SAME, I KNOW THIS DOESNT HAPPEN BUT IT SHOULDNT BE FAR OFF. (sorry for the caps, I'm a slow typer and after I looked up halfway through this I thought hell with it Im not changing it now. LOL)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Drill slow. back the bit up occasionally.

Drill bits are designed to push the shavings out toward the back.

Millions of EGT probes have been installed using this method without issue
Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i literally just did mine didnt start it no grease just went slow. the slow speed is key!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.