Where to find EGR plug? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where to find EGR plug?

I'm looking online for the plug that replaces the EGR valve in the intake. I think it's called a "spool". Also, is there a plate that slides between the EGR cooler itself and the Y pipe? Please don't beat this to death with "why don't you just delete the entire cooler" posts. I live in an apartment complex, don't have the place to tear it down and do the full delete, nor do I want to spend the money on that. I'm looking for the spool/replacement plug and something for the back side. I'm trying to avoid removing the Y pipe. If I can slide a plate between it and the cooler that would be great. Being a 2006, there is a lip that sticks into the Y pipe so the plate would have to account for that somehow. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 01:26 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
BLE EGR Eliminator
Old 03-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Thanks. I actually found one earlier for $71 and some change after tax and shipping. I wonder why this one is so much higher?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Thanks. I actually found one earlier for $71 and some change after tax and shipping. I wonder why this one is so much higher?
Because the other one has a fancy name and is made out of a "one piece" solid plug. IMO, the "one piece" solid is way over priced.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:56 PM

The one I bought has the plug and 2 spacer looking pieces with a hole in each one. Any idea how those are going to come into play? I figured it went in and had 2 holt holes just like the egr valve does.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
The one I bought has the plug and 2 spacer looking pieces with a hole in each one. Any idea how those are going to come into play? I figured it went in and had 2 holt holes just like the egr valve does.
The two spacer things are the hold down clamps, they hold the plug in by using the existing EGR valve bolt holes. Here is one of the ones I made a couple of years ago. Same concept, but I used a one piece solid hold down.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
If you search for "EGR spool" on eBay you'll find a plug to put in place of the EGR valve and for LESS then HALF the price of this one. I used one for a couple of years until I could put in a full EGR system delete. This way you can keep exhaust gases out of your intake manifold and install it yourself in five minutes tops!! It's a solid one piece plug with two hold downs and on mine I drilled a hole down the center of it to install a boost sensor.

Last edited by Term3; 03-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:27 PM

I like it. Why couldn't they have just put some fins off to the side and drilled 2 holes in them just like the egr valve? They had to turn it into a 3 piece part. lol Oh well... mine should be here tomorrow. I'm like you, I want the intake sealed off NOW. I'll do the full delete later. As for now, I want to know there's no chance of coolant going into my cylinders. If the cooler fails I'd rather it run backwards and get blown into the turbo or boil and evaporate or whatever. Hell a turbo is cheaper and easier than head gaskets is the way I see it. I'd rather it screw up something on that side of the egr cooler (turbo, etc.) vs. something on the front side (cylinders, etc.) Plus... I don't want to worry about the unplugged valve getting blown. My intake was all sooted up when I pulled my valve to clean it and force it shut. Seeing that was enough for me. I'm plugging that hole tomorrow and won't ever let that exhaust go through my intake again.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 PM

Correction...meant to say worry about it being blown open, not blown.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

From ear to ear its 3.750", so the fancy one piece started out at about 4" round stock. You waste a lot of material machining down the plug to size.

The first one I made was like the fancy one, 4" billet stock. The others I made, the actual plug started out at 2" round stock, then sawed of a 3/8" thick 4" billet for the cap.

Either way is fine, but it's less machining when you start out just above OD size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.