Bulletproof Oil Cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bulletproof Oil Cooler

I have a 2006 6.0 liter with the Edge Evolution, J & B cold air intake and a removed cat. Last summer like almost everyone else i had to replace the EGR Cooler unexpectedly on a camping trip. It was done at an out of town Ford dealer that really impressed me with their knowledge and integrity (Town Ford in Wenatchee, WA) my truck only has 48k miles on it. They replaced the EGR cooler with a Bulletproof one and the Oil cooler with an OEM. I asked about the Bulletproof oil cooler relocation kit and was told it would be aprox an additional 2k dollars and opted not to do it at that time. Well now i am wondering if i made the right choice. I tow heavy loads on a regular basis and last fall on a hunting trip back to Montana i was going over several mountain passes with the truck running on "stock" level. I was monitoring the EOT, ECT and EGT. I was not even pushing it in the least and notice that my oil temp would get up to 230+ degrees and a few of the times that was at only 40mph with a OD temp of 40-50. My question is is the Bullet Proof Oil Cooler kit worth the investment and what will it do for my EOT while towing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just got back from 22hr straight thru from fla to mich only pulling 2k eot never over 184 w/bpd oil cooler ect temps 203 for short spikes at times mostly 185-190
Old 03-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

Imo well worth the money plus the added filtering & oil vol. No need to worry about coolant issues in oil
Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards doing it i just want to do my due dillegence. I regulary tow a lot of weight in the summer as well, i will put a 4,800# boat behind my truck and camper too. Went to the scales last year and had a total weight of around 14k fully loaded between truck, camper and boat which im pretty sure is borderline max for truck & safety. This site is a great resource for novices like myself to learn. Also i am open to other suggestions if anyone has any. I am not set on Bulletproof just heard good things about there oil cooler and dont know of any others.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well first of all I wouldnt say that that is heavy towing. I dont know what cab/wheel configuration you have but I'll assume you at least have a crew cab, which means your truck probably weighs in the 8000lb area. So if you are saying that your total load (truck, camper, and boat) is 14k, then that means you really only have about 6k, shoot round up to 8k, of actual load which in all actuality is really a pretty light load. Our trucks are rated to tow 12.5k with just a ball hitch and over 16k with a fifth wheel hookup. Now of course with a camper you run into aerodynamics being a problem, nonetheless, the oem cooler should be able to handle those duties even on a stock tune. I have towed 10-11k with a triple axle trailer with my truck on a 100hp tune from VA to MI and only had oil temps reach 220F. Now I have installed a BPD setup and like it but havent been able to tow with it. I have to say that I am confident that it will be able to handle the extra heat load just fine.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

Ok i should have given a little more info, yes it is f350 4x4 CC with SWRD and i was a little off with my weight camper weighs 4300# and boat and trailer is another 5k so that actually puts me up around 17k not 14k total weight. Wondering what kind of temps i should expect with th BPD oil cooler with kind of weight pulling several mountain passes, i live in western WA and cant really go anywhere without going over a mountain range.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You could go to Bellingham or Sequim- sorry, that was rude of me. You're right, over the mountains we go...
Old 03-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Do go to Sekiu but even there you have still got a pretty good pull on the west side of Lake Cresent to get there. I prefer to see the sun so east bound we go unless the Salmon are in.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:25 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstrom View Post
Ok i should have given a little more info, yes it is f350 4x4 CC with SWRD and i was a little off with my weight camper weighs 4300# and boat and trailer is another 5k so that actually puts me up around 17k not 14k total weight. Wondering what kind of temps i should expect with th BPD oil cooler with kind of weight pulling several mountain passes, i live in western WA and cant really go anywhere without going over a mountain range.
Got ya and I understand the requirement to cross mountains. If you have to you have to. I would be surprised if your oil temp hit 220F (which is completely safe as long as it is a good synthetic) with a BPD kit on a stock truck, especially at 40-50mph. Are you using tow-haul? I hope so.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Yes i use the Tow/Haul mode. I normally would try to go a little faster but as this was the first trip towing after having the EGR cooler replaced i was being very gentle on it cause i didnt want to strand my buddy and i on the way to our 10 day MT hunting trip. I was probably being over cautious and couldnt take my eyes off the guages. Managed to keep delta between EOT & ECT no higher then about 12 degrees but those same temps would get to 230+ if i didnt let off on long or steep climbs which was a litttle humbling watching some GM and Dodge truck go flying by. I would try not to let it get over 224 as my alarm goes off at 225. Are you saying you are surprised that i would reach 220 EOT with what i have now or would be if i got the BP installed. I am not running a synthetic oil....SHOULD I BE???

Last edited by nordstrom; 03-04-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.