Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Post Stud/HG questions

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  rdunagan 
#1 ·
I did all the common mods when I redid my hg's. Truck has been running about 1,000mi an has been super strong. I also bought a USED 03 turbo an 5" exhaust an a SCT running the SRL+ tune. I've done some racing an like I said the truck is very strong right now. I have also been running the truck kinda hard right now. Its so much fun you can't help it.

I've noticed the boot that connects the turbo to the hotside of the intercooler is soaked with oil and the front side (not back end of the turbo) is VERY dirty.

I also have been pulling 2 codes (P2285 / P2287) pretty common now but not till about the last 250mi. My truck HAS ALWAYS skipped and farted like its doing now an I think this has always been going on new gauges just let me read them now. I think when the truck skips (maybe fuel problem but no real idea) it drops the oil pressure and the ICP pulls the code. Not sure.

Major question is the oil on the boot. The turbo is used (I did a very good cleaning before install - was told the turbo has 75,000 on it) an I've upgraded the drain tube but maybe the turbo is going? I HAVE NOT done a ccv mod and the crank case is stock now.

The highest boost I've seen is 28lbs an I'm pretty sure the back end of the turbo is tight as it is very clean back there, I'm wondering if the boot might have a small hole as I've been told it could cause the dirt all over the front of the motor. It looks soaked in oil.

Anyone have a great idea on the ICP codes that would be a big bonus. Like I said it has ALWAYS surged/farted/burped an although it was MUCH better right after the rebuild its back to normal now. I have 155,000 an the HPoP is stock on my latemodel 04

As always.... thanks for the help

Wait till you hear about the Truck Wars I pulled in tonight... I'm smiling

See less See more
#4 ·
I can check my ICP voltage. At idle it's .8/.9 an at WOT it's 4.4-4.8

When it burps/farts it drops right to 0.0

If it is my HPOP then wouldn't it just either work or stop working? This has been going on since 07. When it was under warranty I brought into 4 different shops an never had any luck tracking it down.

#5 ·
try some rev-x or does it do it when its hot too?

#6 ·
Yea, I was thinking it sounds like an injector issue but that ICP volts being 0 intermitently seems like it is probably something else. I doubt it is the HPOP but what about the IPR valve?? If it is somehow damaged or the wiring harness plugging into it maybe damaged.

#8 ·
I had the IPR out when I did all the work. The screen was fine (no rips) an it was replaced about a year ago. It's still the older model with the finer screen. I've read a lot about the wiring shorting out an maybe that might be an option to look deeper into.

It has Rev-X an I don't think the oil is an issue. It's mechanical or electrical. I always thought it was something to do with my fuel. It can happen it any time but much more noticeable at 1/4 or lower fuel level.

After it farts it'll push black smoke out the tail.

I'm not soo worried about this like I said its been going on forever. I've had it in different dealers as well as specialty diesel shops an I've been told so many differnt things it's crazy.

Anyone have any idea about the turbo boot being soaked in oil? Haven't got to that yet.
Thank

#9 ·
Is the turbo boot soaked on the inside or outside? If it is soaked on the outside that is definitely a problem but wont really have anything to do with your "farting" problem IIRC. If it is soaked on the inside, do a CCV mod and change the boots on your hotside CAC pipe.

#12 ·
Should I rework the ccv first an see if that helps? I have been running my motor very hard since the rebuild. It is soaked with oil as I said. I'll take it off this weekend an get a better look at it. If there was a seal problem with the boot itself (small cut,etc) would that add to the oil mess or would that just make my boost lower? Highest boost using Matt's SRL+ is 29psi read off my CTS. I thought I might have a little higher boost then that an thought about a leak. Like I said the boot is covered in wet oil but the front of the motor from the turbo forward is also covered in dry soot

#13 ·
Check your ICP sensor out thats what the codes lean toward

#14 ·
boost numbers sound about right for matt's tune. he doesnt run alot of boost in his tunes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.