MPG Discussion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG Discussion

I've seen people just in normal conversation state their mpg. I was wondering if there's any thing I can do to get close to these numbers, my truck is lifted put maybe y'all can help me. My ECM hasn't been rolled back and my Ficm isn't tuned either. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 AM

keep your boost below 7 psi
Old 03-03-2012, 08:24 AM

boost isnt the key its the rpm range. the sweet spot on these trucks are right at the 2k mark. another thing would be to get the ecm and ficm done. ive seen that help alot of guys with mpg's. those tires are robbing alot from you though. ive got 35's and it robbed about 2.5 away from me. but its hard to give up the looks for the fuel mileage back
Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 AM

I figured the tires weren't helping put the look they give is so badass.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I agree with the 2k rpm max for mileage, except for making the turbo exercise every once in a while to clean it. So the tune i have that heats the injectors or whatever is bad for milage? Where abouts do i send both the ficm and pcm for a moderate/light tune. $4.29 diesel so i really need help.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 AM

php is who i would use! Power hungry performance. they have all the knowledge about the strategies and what not and they could answer the questions better than i can. when my tax return comes in mine ficm and what not is getting shipped out
Old 03-03-2012, 03:59 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You shouldnt really see a large drop (more than 1-1.5 mpg) in fuel mileage with 35in tires. The reason you may be seeing a 2.5 mpg drop is because you havent recalibrated your speedo to read correctly for the new tire size. The bottomline is if your speedo is reading slower than you are actually going (check with a gps unit), which it would if you upped the tire size and left everything else the same, then you are going miles that your odometer isnt giving you credit for and it will look like your mileage has dropped more than it really has if at all. Check that first and see where you are. Not saying tunes dont help as they most certainly do but that your speedo needs to be right first so you can know where you are actually at.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

Going along those lines, are you correcting for your big tires when calculating mileage? If not here's a quick way. All that needs to be done is to find the rate of change and apply that to your mpg. So, you went from 31.5 OEM to 35.8 M/Ts, 35.8/31.5= roughly 1.13. This means that if you pump in 22 gallons and you went 237 miles, your mileage isn't 10.77, it's closer to 12.17. You simply multiply your mpg by the 1.13 rate of change.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:46 PM

my speedo is right on. ive checked it. ive got one of the worst strategies though so i know thats got to change to see any big difference.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunagan View Post
my speedo is right on. ive checked it. ive got one of the worst strategies though so i know thats got to change to see any big difference.
try a FICM tune. I have heard of 2 mpg so far with php's tune. I picked up a little over 1 mpg with IDP's FICM tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.