Tuning help please? (preventatives already completed) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuning help please? (preventatives already completed)

Ok, I have been doing my best to do my research for this and I'd just like to get some feedback on what i need or should do for tuning.

Truck is a 2006 F-350 6.0 CCLB 117,xxx mi
-ARP head studs
-EGR delete
-4in DP an 4in tb exhaust
So i know i have done the bullet-proofing necessary and would like to tune it. I tow on occasion a 20 ft utility trailer and a 16 foot enclosed. I would like to tune for the power and the economy.
Ive seen and read that the extreme tune is best for fuel economy (if you keep your foot out of it) but i would love the added power (I drive my boss's truck for work on occasion a 6.4 with the hs maxx, its like there is no trailer behind it...)
I know custom tunes are a must and the best for the 6.0. So my general questions are: SCT x3 with custom tunes? gauges (i know should monitor EGT, EOT, and fuel pressure)?

Any help would be great, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like you are on the right track, You are about where I am with my truck, I would recommend the blue sping mod for some injector "insurance", Get some guages establish you trucks known tendencies as far as temps go, then an sct x3 with custom tunes is what most people on here are running.
You might run the risk of some high egt's with an extreme race or street tune while towing but there are people on here that will know better than I will, hopefully they will add some input
Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Do the blue spring upgrade and 6.4l banjo bolts. Get a fuel pressure gauge, here's what I have Tinted 7 Color 100 PSI Fuel Pressure Gauge . Then get an Edge monitor w/ EGT probe (the CTS is cool) After that an X3 w/ TSD tunes. I run the Super Panty Dropper and have towed almost 10,000lbs without any issues at all. The EGT's stayed well within' reasonable limits. The power comes on extremely smooth and I turn 35's over without even trying (really had to be careful when I first started driving this tune) Normal driving nets me between 18-20mpg's. I can get a little more on the highway if I keep it under 75mph.

You should also get your FICM tuned. It won't matter who's tunes you use, without a good FICM tune you will be leaving a sh*tload of power and throttle response on the table. The FICM tuning really complete's these trucks. PHP has a whole new set of tunes that is making awesome power gains and really complements all ecm tunes.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:07 PM

Ok sweet, i have heard the edge monitor was a preferred choice by others for monitoring. So the x3 is definitely the consensus. I just have to say that the "super panty dropper" might be the best name i have heard this year. When doing the x3 with custom tuning, this tuning the transmission right? I don't really beat on the truck, i mean i know the 6.0 is not made for baby-ing, when i want it to go i get into it. But i definitely want to be safe with it, so what exactly does the blue spring mod do? i have heard it before
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The blue spring mod replaces your crappy worn out stock spring with a new stiffer spring in the upper fuel filter unit. It raises your fuel pressure so you don't kill your injectors due to lack of fuel. This is also why you need a fuel pressure gauge, but regardless, do the blue spring upgrade. Tuning your truck will require more fuel and cause pressure to drop even more. Again, very important to know your fuel pressure.

All custom tunes will tune your tranny to compensate for the increased horsepower. I cannot stress how important it is to monitor your EGT's when running big tunes. Some tunes can get VERY hot. My Looney Wild could touch 1700* on a 0-100mph pull. You need to know when to lift so you don't cause any damage. A GoGo direct clutch solenoid is also a good idea for running big tunes.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM

That actually makes perfect sense, both the blue spring mod and egts. I have an oil change coming up in the next 500 miles and i was planning on doing the two fuel filters as well, would this be basically the ideal time for the blue spring mod? Also i went to the gauge site (thanks by the way)
i priced out a 4 gauge pillar....
-do i need the 100psi or 30psi fuel pressure gauge?
-EGT gauge 2400 degrees
-what do you recommend for the other two gauges? Trans temp, oil temp, oil pressure?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
IMO, the minimum stuff to monitor on a '06, fuel psi 0-100, EGT 0-1500, ECT, EOT. Even that's not enough!!! Your better off using a digital monitor that can watch more and allow you to trouble shoot issues. With and digital monitor, your gonna need to add external sensors for EGT and Fuel psi.

There is the Edge Insight CS/CTS which you can add EGT/FUEL psi to the monitor. DashBoss for iPad/iTouch/iPhone that you can add EGT/FP. Torque app for android phones but need to add separate EGT/FP. And ScangaugeII that you need to add separate EGT/FP.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I agree with Lilpooh on the digital monitor. You get the ability to monitor a lot more and most can read codes as well. I use my SCT Livewire to monitor everything except Fuel pressure and thats were the Glowshift 0-100 psi comes in. BTW, you should be around 65-70psi at idle and under no circumstances should you ever drop below 45psi. I watch EGT, EOT, ECT, RPM, Voltage, IAT and Fuel pressure. I'm about to order the GlowShift 0-60 psi boost gauge for a more accurate reading than whats on the dash. I would however ,if you go analog, get an EGT gauge that reads higher than 1500*. All my big tunes can be pushed higher than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.